Camping Near Handies

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BrinBry
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Camping Near Handies

Post by BrinBry »

Hello,
We are planning to hike Handies on Saturday and were wondering if there are any roadside campsites on the way to the American Basin TH. Thanks!
paully
14ers: 56 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Camping Near Handies

Post by paully »

There's a ton of camping on the way, some in established campground, some are less established. You shouldn't have a problem finding something. If you're concerned, you can probably get reservations at one of the lakes, or maybe at (Mill Creek?) Campground.
nedryarson
14ers: 24  1 
13ers: 73 3 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by nedryarson »

Just before the Cinnamon Pass/American Basin junction (~11,000ft), there are a couple great primitive sites with tree coverage near the stream. They are about 100 yards down a tiny road that heads off to the left.
mount_quandary
14ers: 4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mount_quandary »

we camped right at the TH of American Basin!!! it was Awesome and we were the only ones there for the night....helped that we climbed on a weekday but it was in the beginning of August so it was a surprise! best experience!!!!
Hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you're not afraid of dying, don't be scared just enjoy the ride!
pocketmaces
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pocketmaces »

I’ve heard stories of wildlife doing damage to vehicles parked at the TH of 14ers. Is there any truth to this? Don't mean to highjack this thread but couldn't figure out how to start my own.
Hobopoet
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hobopoet »

There's some truth to this. Do a search on this site; maybe members have experiences and strategies that might be useful. A couple of years ago, I camped in my truck at the Handies TH. A very large and very persistent porcupine made several noisy attempts to get into something on the bottom of the truck. I had to get up and chase him off three or four times. Not a good way to rest before a hike!
pocketmaces
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pocketmaces »

Thanks found a few threads with tons of info.