Directions from Bierstadt over to Torreys

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Directions from Bierstadt over to Torreys

Post by tmathews »

cwm wrote:And to suggest Webster Pass shows that you have never driven it.
I did actually state that I haven't been up it.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

cwm wrote:And to suggest Webster Pass shows that you have never driven it. On the south side of the summit of Webster Pass it is a narrow shelf road and about 1/2 mile south of the summit is a washout. It is extremely dangerous and may not even be passable this year by something as small as a Jeep TJ Wrangler. And a snow drift also blocks the road until late July, some years even later.
:lol:

burn

do Boreas pass
Go get it
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Aug_Dog wrote:Here's a Wiki entry on Boreas Pass, the route I suggested. It would be a fun drive and isn't as hairy as Red Cone.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boreas_Pass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This road is a piece of cake from Breck up to the pass. It's paved for a while, then just your run of the mill county road gravel with a few rough spots. I parked next to a Civic. The road down to 285 looked like a well-maintained county road and an easy drive with long, uninterrupted views.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

del_sur wrote:The road down to 285 looked like a well-maintained county road and an easy drive with long, uninterrupted views.
It is; it's quite smooth. Boreas Pass is a nice easy drive that could be done in any vehicle.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

tmathews wrote:
cwm wrote:And to suggest Webster Pass shows that you have never driven it.
I did actually state that I haven't been up it.
The issue wasn't a claim of having driven the road. The issue seems to be that you recommended it without any more detail than that it's on a map.
That can't be a good idea.
Not really that big a deal, thanks to the additional info about the road condition.

Speaking generally (not personally), isn't it best to say nothing and not be recognized than raise a hand and offer the wrong answer?
This forum is known for being a place where advice comes readily. It'd be good to also have a rep for supplying solid advice based on experience, too. I can only speculate as to why some people pipe up and speak with internet forum certainty about things they're not really sure about--getting post counts up, trying to be helpful, etc?
Darwinism aside, how would you (or anyone) react if someone made the mistake of driving that road, then were injured or died, after reading a post that leaves out crucial info?
Imagine if physicians used similar decision making criteria... This Promotional Pen Works So Great, Imagine How Well The Drug Must Work Not even the politicians could save us then...
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

del_sur wrote:
Aug_Dog wrote:Here's a Wiki entry on Boreas Pass, the route I suggested. It would be a fun drive and isn't as hairy as Red Cone.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boreas_Pass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This road is a piece of cake from Breck up to the pass. It's paved for a while, then just your run of the mill county road gravel with a few rough spots. I parked next to a Civic. The road down to 285 looked like a well-maintained county road and an easy drive with long, uninterrupted views.
I have never actually driven the pass, but I hear it's absolutely beautiful. It seems as that it might actually save some time not having to go to Fairplay then if it is as clear up and down as you are saying.
Go get it