Holy Cross 7/24-25

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Holy Cross 7/24-25

Post by greenwok »

Will be monitoring weather and cams with the system moving in this weekend - making a decision over the next 27 hrs. Plan is to stay in Vail Friday eve with a HC TH Start 4AM (Standard Route). A Snow shower or two isn't a show stopper, however if the clouds are low enough to sock things in and lock out the views, not so much fun.

Holy Cross Web Cam
http://www.vail.com/mountain/current-co ... -cams.aspx

KG
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
Magnum420
14ers: 23  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Holy Cross 7/24-25

Post by Magnum420 »

I might be interested in joining you. Again, a 4am start is pretty early for me. I'll let you know tomorrow, I have a couple other things in mind for the weekend that dont involve a 2am wake up call.

The weather has been pretty bad for peaks up here the last couple of days. Originally they said this would clear out for the weekend but every time I check the forecast the chance of rain goes up. We are now at 30-40% on Sat. Of course they have been pretty bad at forecasting up here this summer.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---
SpringsHiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SpringsHiker »

I am planning MHC on Sunday, 7/25 via Halo Ridge returning on the standard route. I posted my intent earlier in the week and thought I would pile on here for reasons particular to the weather: right now the precipitation forecast is higher for Sat. than Sun., although obviously there are no guarantees. As long as the chance is decent for clear weather on Sunday, I will be leaving Colorado Springs early Saturday afternoon and car camping at or near the TH. My plan would be to start around 4ish. If I don't connect with anyone here I still figure there is a good chance to meet others at the TH, but I am fine going solo if comes to that.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"
greenwok
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

As of now this looks like a go for us Saturday. Plan is to leave CO Springs 5PM Friday stay in Vail, then a TH Start Time of 4AM Saturday. Weather system this weekend while an annoyance, seems to be backing off slightly from earlier forecasts, and not a significant weather event - not the blue bird weekend of last, but a 4AM start should play in our favor. If weather deteriorates we'll turn back.

HC Web Cam: http://www.vail.com/mountain/current-co ... -cams.aspx

Cheers!
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

I am heading up there solo today planning to camp just beyond the creek, maybe I'll see you up there somewhere on Saturday.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
greenwok
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »