weather/temps around Lake City

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
paully
14ers: 56 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (1)

weather/temps around Lake City

Post by paully »

So I did an early weather check for a camping trip my wife and I are taking to Lake City starting this weekend. It's listed as 'scattered showers' and 'highs in the mid-60's' for every day that we're there. Does anyone know if this is just the typical 'we can't predict that far in advance so we'll throw some meaningless numbers out there', or is Lake City really that cool this time of year? Not that it would significantly impact the trip, but I'd like to know what to expect.
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Re: weather/temps around Lake City

Post by traderaaron »

Yes, that's a very typical forecast for this time of year now that the seasonal monsoon has started to develop, temperatures will likely be a little higher than that at Lake City though.
sjpwarsaw
14ers: 34 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sjpwarsaw »

We went to Lake City last year to hike Handies, Sunshine & Red Cloud and possibly Wetterhorn or Uncompahgre and it rained hard in the morning each day we were there. The weather was great 2 days before and 2 days afterwards. Depends on the fronts moving through. Planning on going back in August this year because it's so beautiful.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Yeah I noticed the forecast too. My wife and I are planning 3 San Juan hikes this weekend as well. Not liking the 40% chance of scattered showers each day. Hoping for the storms to be later in the day if they come!
Have fun!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
screefieldstevie
14ers: 19 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screefieldstevie »

I wouldn't trust any forecast over 72hrs.......I would just count on the typical Monsoon weather......get an alpine start.........I NEVER start later than 6-6:30......prefer 5-5:30 (that's if I'm doing a the usual class 2 hike).........that was our initial forecast here in Summit today if you had looked at the forecast 5 days ago, and we had the typical afternoon storm @ 1:30..........One thing I can say about lake city for sure though is BRING YOUR BUG SPRAY.......the mosquito's are INSANE there this season......Have fun!!!!!!
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

The thermometer in my yard is reading 61 degrees right now.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

Ditto on the mosquitos.

FWIW, at 4 am last Sunday morning at the Grizzly Gulch-Silver Creek TH, the temperature in my tent was a relatively balmy 49 degrees. Didn't really even need to zip my sleeping bag.
PKelley
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

The skeeters are bad, but are getting much better. I didn't get bitten at all tonight during the softball game.
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
screefieldstevie
14ers: 19 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screefieldstevie »

PKelley wrote:The skeeters are bad, but are getting much better. I didn't get bitten at all tonight during the softball game.
Great to hear, we want to make at least one more trip back down there before summer's over......we were there the 4th, and they were horrid.....first time I've put on bug spray since I moved to Colorado 2 1/2 yrs. ago
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh
PKelley
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

Yeah, they can really be intense for a few weeks. Some areas are worse than others. For some reason, they thin out staring about now. I can't explain why.