Lindsey - "La Weenie Way"

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Lindsey - "La Weenie Way"

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Any of you guys ever do Lindsey via either the SE ridge or the NE ridge?

Seems the NE ridge would be mellower but involve a drop and reclimb of 5-600 feet to get over there. And the south side looks absolutely mellow - the SE ridge looks like a real winter candidate to me.

Any experience on these?

Thx,

Jim
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Lindsey - "La Weenie Way"

Post by JosephG »

Jim,

Per Roach (2nd ed.; p.180), Lindsey's southern slopes are on private property and are inaccessible to the public, although that side is easier. I'm sure somebody else on this site has more specific info about these approaches' histories.
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

JosephG wrote:Jim,

Per Roach (2nd ed.; p.180), Lindsey's southern slopes are on private property and are inaccessible to the public, although that side is easier. I'm sure somebody else on this site has more specific info about these approaches' histories.
Interesting. I saw the land grant border on TOPO! (third level shows NF land) and figured an east approach was out. But the interesting thing is, it appears that the enire summit is within the border of the land grant - meaning it would be private from about the 13,200 saddle (on the standard route) all the way up to the summit.

Guess I'll need to research this a little more.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

My understanding is that the owners allow access only if you enter their property above timberline.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Jim Davies wrote:My understanding is that the owners allow access only if you enter their property above timberline.
Thanks, Jim. If that's the case, then both alternative options would be a go - though south side would have to be from the northside approach. Before I do that, I'd want to verify.

On the other hand, the NW ridge looks like a very cool route, so the rest of this might be moot, in my particular case. However, if the NW Face is loose and one wants to avoid it, or under certain winter conditions, one of the other routes may afford safer passage and add a little interest to the mix.

I have a message in to Bill and checking a couple of other resources as well - Generally, I'm inclined to get excited about route alternatives to the standard 14er lines.