Holy Cross in a day

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Holy Cross in a day

Post by MtHurd »

Halo Ridge is an absolute must, a true classic. I prefer to do it first for sunrise reasons. The ups and downs will wear you down though if you are not in shape. It's exposed to the weather so you really need a pretty good weather day. It would be tough to get it all done before afternoon storms if the monsoon weather pattern is in full swing.
Ramfan24
14ers: 30  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ramfan24 »

Thoughts on departure time to get to the shelter to see the sunrise on MHC? The two of us are in good shape with a good pace.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

It's 2800' and 5 miles... maybe 2 hours? YMMV.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
ATOMEMT
14ers: 57 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ATOMEMT »

+1 on what jeffR said......at a good clip, 2 hours to the hut. The Halo is a blast.
jfrenzen
14ers: 14 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jfrenzen »

FWIW, took us just under 3. Granted we stopped to take several pictures at first light....and sunrise came while we were on the switchbacks.

The sunrise was amazing, and you would miss a large portion of it by taking North Ridge first, as your view will be blocked. I would also rather navigate the long ridge with fresher legs.

Obviously the last climb was not welcomed, but it wasn't overly tough.
Mount of the Holy Cross--July 10th 2010
Mount Sherman--August 14th 2010
Mount Bierstadt, Sawtooth traverse--July 22, 2011
Longs Peak--August 4th, 2012
Mount Evans--July 4th, 2013
Grays and Torrey's from Loveland Pass--August 3rd, 2014
Mount Princeton--August 22nd, 2015
argothor
14ers: 33 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by argothor »

Ramfan24 wrote:Thanks for the responses. Which route do you think is more fun/scenic?
Halo Ridge is more scenic, and more fun. Longer too. I did the Halo Ridge route as an ascent and then returned via the standard route. Makes for a long day, but if the weather holds it is doable as a day hike. The advantage of the Halo Route is less people, and you get to see the Cross Couloir.
Bullwinkle
14ers: 43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Bullwinkle »

Just did Holy Cross on the 4th with my son on a gorgeous day, after driving in as flatlanders. Did the standard, Halfmoon Pass route (5,600 ft; 11.5 miles) in 7 hours moving time RT. Unless you really want to camp for personal reasons, day-tripping is significantly less total effort. Choose a good weather day, start very early, and bring contingency gear. Save some energy for the hike out.

Longs was, well, longer and a bit more challenging. I was TH to TH in 10 hours on that one.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed
greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

Great beta Bullwinkle - looking to do HC and Longs in the coming weeks - you made good time on both it would appear!

KG
Bullwinkle wrote:Just did Holy Cross on the 4th with my son on a gorgeous day, after driving in as flatlanders. Did the standard, Halfmoon Pass route (5,600 ft; 11.5 miles) in 7 hours moving time RT. Unless you really want to camp for personal reasons, day-tripping is significantly less total effort. Choose a good weather day, start very early, and bring contingency gear. Save some energy for the hike out.

Longs was, well, longer and a bit more challenging. I was TH to TH in 10 hours on that one.
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

Halo was one of the most incredible routes I ever did. Be prepared for a very long day with lots of scrambling, and start very early to avoid storms. I'd be on the trail by 3:00 at the latest. Most people descend the standard route rather than going around Halo twice in a day. One lap is enough.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells
Ramfan24
14ers: 30  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ramfan24 »

Thanks again for all of the input. It definitely was a super long day (12 hours) but a beautiful hike. I would say it was more difficult than Longs via the Keyhole. I was disappointed to see the cross wasn't holding any snow but I got some great pictures anyway.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Congrats!