Mt. Bross Closure

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelinJoe
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Bross Closure

Post by TravelinJoe »

Hello climbers!
Can anyone tell me if Mt. Bross is still closed to public access?
Thank you
TravelinJOE
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Mt. Bross Closure

Post by Jim Davies »

The summit is still closed, officially. In reality, hundreds of people visited it every weekend last summer.
http://14ers.org/peaks_Mosquito_Bross.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
summers
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 30 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by summers »

Colorado 14ers Initiative (CFI) and Volunteers of Colorado (VOC) are working this summer to reconstruct the trail to the summit of Mt Bross in hopes that it can be re-opened to the public this fall. The link below gives more information on this project.

http://www.voc.org/index.php?option=com ... ils&did=71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnyaByers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AnyaByers »

CFI, VOC and Wildlands Restoration Volunteers (WRV) are working to repair a section of trail (on Forest Service property) near a stream crossing on the lower approach to Mt. Bross in summer 2010. The process of gaining legal access across private property on the summit of Mt. Bross is completely separate. Although access is being pursued, the organizations involved cannot guarantee that it will be successful by a certain date. In the mean time, hikers are asked to stay on the legal trail, which allows them to summit Mts. Democrat, Cameron and Lincoln, and stay on the "Bross Bypass" route that skirts below the Bross summit before descending to Kite Lake. Hikers that choose to summit Mt. Bross illegally (intentionally ignoring the signs, and disregarding the hard work that has been required to re-open access to the rest of the route) jeopardize legal access in the future for all of us. It's worth pointing that out to other hikers you encounter up there. And, of course, it's still worth volunteering for those trail work projects!
spack225
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spack225 »

does this closure affect the combo four route, and what i mean by that is, can you still get back to the trail head going that way, even it it means not submitting Mt. Bross
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

You can return to Kite Lake (on trail) without trespassing. See the site's route description for details.
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

AnyaByers wrote:CFI, VOC and Wildlands Restoration Volunteers (WRV) are working to repair a section of trail (on Forest Service property) near a stream crossing on the lower approach to Mt. Bross in summer 2010. The process of gaining legal access across private property on the summit of Mt. Bross is completely separate. Although access is being pursued, the organizations involved cannot guarantee that it will be successful by a certain date. In the mean time, hikers are asked to stay on the legal trail, which allows them to summit Mts. Democrat, Cameron and Lincoln, and stay on the "Bross Bypass" route that skirts below the Bross summit before descending to Kite Lake. Hikers that choose to summit Mt. Bross illegally (intentionally ignoring the signs, and disregarding the hard work that has been required to re-open access to the rest of the route) jeopardize legal access in the future for all of us. It's worth pointing that out to other hikers you encounter up there. And, of course, it's still worth volunteering for those trail work projects!
+100
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

Bross? Closed? Whaaaat? When the hell did this happen!!?? I guess I'll have to repeat Shavano and Tabeguache tomorrow instead.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

I know I'm being an a**hole by saying this, but even if they couldn't secure legal access to Bross, who cares?! People are climbing it now without much trouble, so yeah its a nice gesture to work diligently with landowners to open the summit, but whats the rush? I climbed Specimen Mountain in RMNP which is closed to the public last weekend all paranoid that I would get caught by the imaginary summit police and the sheep researchers that dont exist. No one is watching.

I climb private peaks all the time. Dont trash the summits, LNT, be respectful of the fact that it isn't a public peak...but for gods sake dont let the law hold you back. You're not committing murder, and if the landowners don't see you, would they ever know/care?

And if you're a good honest little little climber (who would never dare step behind the signs) about to chastise me, yes, you are better than me.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
ClimbandMine
14ers: 57 
13ers: 47 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbandMine »

Its a good thing I climbed Bross before the entire mountain was in danger of collapsing from adits that have been there over a hundred years.
I don't care that you Tele.
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

I've been hearing for nearly a decade about how progress is being made and the "negotiators" hope to have Bross open "this fall," "this spring," "this summer." I would imagine that at least some who have been staying away out of respect for private property, and not wanting to jeopardize getting it open, have decided they are just getting too old to wait any longer.
MarkVB
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MarkVB »

TravelinJoe: Here is a link to info about Mt. Bross on the Colorado Fourteeners Initiative website: http://14ers.org/cfi/peaks_mosquito_bross.php

I know I was asking about Mt. Bross earlier this week since I am going with a group of guys to hike Mt. Democrat, Mt. Lincoln and Mt. Cameron. Was told it was still closed even though many people seem to ignore the signs and go to the summit anyway. There may be guys in our group who go to the summit, but I think I will abide by the rules and go around it.