Hiking this weekend

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info.
badgergoaliemom
14er Checklist (7)

Hiking this weekend

Postby badgergoaliemom » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:46 pm

I am going to be hiking with my daughter and her friend this weekend. I have done 6 14ers. I only get to hike out her once a year so the altitude takes some getting used to. Any suggestions. How is Antero? Bierstadt?
mtngoat
14er Checklist (21)

Re: Hiking this weekend

Postby mtngoat » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:05 am

Are you asking about their condition, or stress level for each? I am sure you will encounter some snow up high on both. I am not 100% but I would anticipate Guenella Pass Rd to be completely open at this point (may check the trailhead conditions section.) Antero will most likely have a few large drifts over the road since it is on a north facing aspect. I doubt either will give you any reason to turn around though.

When it comes to altitude, all you can do is work on your cardio before hand and then hydrate A LOT before the trip. If you can spend a night in Denver before you hike anything it will help a little. Living at a lower elevation, your body is just used to producing enough red blood cells to carry more oxygen, no real cure for that except time.

Start early! We have been in a funky weather pattern lately (seems more like late July than early June.) there have been a lot of afternoon thunderstorms. Some have even produced some new snow up high (nothing worth worrying about.)
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.
skybobo
14er Checklist (24)

Re: Hiking this weekend

Postby skybobo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:57 am

Hoping to make it out that direction myself this weekend. Couple questions for those of you who have been up lately.

1) Is there enough snow to warrant bringing snowshoes this weekend?

2) Should I be bringing my mountaineering boots or should I be rocking my waterproof hiking boots?

Return to “14ers”