New to 14ers

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info.
AdamC
14er Checklist (1)
13er Checklist (1)

New to 14ers

Postby AdamC » Sun May 31, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi, I'm Adam. I want to do a 14er sometime this summer. I currently live in Boston (highest mountain around here is Washington just over 6k). I am moving to St. Louis with my girl (congrats to her for getting into SLU Med School). I was wondering "how do I get to the 14ers (specifically Mt Elbert) from Denver or Colorado Springs Airports without a car? (train, bus, etc, cheaply)
If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to contact me.
thank you
Adam
anthonylebaron
14er Checklist (35)

Re: New to 14ers

Postby anthonylebaron » Sun May 31, 2009 6:09 pm

I've had to hitch rides in the mountains once or twice and it was very easy. Might be tough getting out of the city, though.
tink
14er Checklist (16)

Postby tink » Sun May 31, 2009 6:12 pm

When I did a backpack trip in the San Gabriels I needed to get from LAX to the hills without a car. My remedy was SuperShuttle, which would pick me up and drop me off there. Price wasn't too awful.
Mountaineering Catholics: Bl Frassati, Pope Pius XI, Pope John Paul II
CO Native
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (2)
14ers in Winter (15)
13er Checklist (28)

Postby CO Native » Sun May 31, 2009 6:14 pm

The only trailhead I know of that has bus service is the Maroon Lake trailhead, but buying all the bus tickets it would require to get there and then having to deal with bus schedules would be brutal.

If you fly into Durango you can take the train to the Needleton trailhead, however that is quite expensive.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
AdamC
14er Checklist (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby AdamC » Sun May 31, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks for all the help so far and in the near future. I've got to go to bed. Lady calls :roll:
Scott P
14er Checklist (46)
14ers in Winter (16)
13er Checklist (30)

Postby Scott P » Sun May 31, 2009 6:44 pm

The easiest way would be just to ask on this website if anyone wanted to do a 14er with you and then go with them.

Some 14ers wouldn't be too terrible by bus, but still not convenient.

You could do Grays and Torreys from Bakerville, but it would take extra walking or hitching.

Greyhound goes to Frisco and the free bus to Breckenridge which isn't that far from Quandary. Same with Lincoln, Democrat and Bross if they are open.

If you took a bike, it would be reasonable to do any of these while using the bus, but you will have to lock it to a tree.

Sherman wouldn't be unreasonable with a bike since there is a bus station in Fairplay, plus it wouldn't be that long of a taxi ride from Fairplay either.

Silverton or Durango would be accessible by bus and as mentioned you can ridge the train to Needleton there. The bus train fare isn't that cheap, but you would be dropped off right at the trailhead and could backpack into the Chicago Basin and climb the 14ers there which are quite scenic:

They aren't 14ers, but if you wanted to climb some rugged peaks by bus, Salt Lake City is a good alternative. You can climb many peaks by using the city bus. The bus fares are only $2.

Peaks such as the ones below are easily accessible by city bus (in fact I've climbed many peaks there by using the city bus):

You can literally climb those mountains right from the city and they are so close that you can even hear the faint hum of traffic and car horns from the summits!

If you really want a 14er, the best bet wouold be to just ask for partners on this website. Some of the above 14ers would also be reasonable.

Kind of think of it, if you would be happy with a 13er rather than a 14er, I'm in Granby all summer. They have a train station and I could pick you up to climb a peak, as long as it's a weekend I'm not working.
Last edited by Scott P on Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
lodidodi
14er Checklist (26)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby lodidodi » Sun May 31, 2009 7:04 pm

Hitch a ride with somebody who is going to do it. There are a lot better hikes than elbert. You could hitch a hike with me but i don't plan on elbert this summer since i already did it.
Fiemus
14er Checklist (12)

Postby Fiemus » Sun May 31, 2009 7:21 pm

Scott P wrote:Greyhound goes right by Quandary, so you can have them drop you off there (picking you up is a bigger problem). Same with Lincoln, Democrat and Bross if they are open. If you took a bike, it would be reasonable to do any of these while using the bus, but you will have to lock it to a tree.

Are you sure about that ? I know the Greyhound goes to Frisco, but I've never seen one in Breck or on Hoosier pass.
4HClimber
14er Checklist (43)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (6)

Postby 4HClimber » Sun May 31, 2009 8:08 pm

I'd pick some dates on the calendar and find someone on this site that wouldn't mind giving you a ride from Denver and have a climbing partner for a couple of peaks.
"Everybody's got a mountain to climb" The Allman Brothers
sbb
14er Checklist (8)

Postby sbb » Sun May 31, 2009 10:48 pm

If you are only doing one or a couple peaks, Elbert is not the best choice. Scenic, there are more beautiful; difficulty, there are more mountains that are both more and less challenging... There are a lot of other 14ers you'd probably enjoy more.
AdamC
14er Checklist (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby AdamC » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:17 am

It really wouldn't be such a bad idea to meet up with someone for the hike and split the costs. I was hoping for some time in August or September. So if any you are up for a weekend trip and a couple of mountains, I'm all for that.
Can't wait to light up a cuban (with whoever I'm with) on my first 14er :)
JeffR
14er Checklist (31)
13er Checklist (149)

Postby JeffR » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:28 am

Of course there's always Pikes Peak, whose TH is near downtown Manitou Springs (which adjoins Colorado Springs). So there are lots of transit options in that scenario.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"

Return to “14ers”