My First Smoke

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Kojones
14er Checklist (25)
13er Checklist (2)

My First Smoke

Postby Kojones » Sun May 31, 2009 3:17 pm

I'm 3.5 hours into my first smoke. Got the Char-Broil Silver Smoker and today I'm breaking it in. Got a rack of baby backs on there with hickory chunks feeding the smoke. Got the temp down, but took longer than expected. Then I had troubles keeping the temp up starting about an hour ago. Boy, when they say this is an art, they really mean it. This is going to take experience... but I think all hope isn't lost on these baby backs. At least there is a lot of smoke, and always has been. Now I got the temp back up to a good level and hopefully in a few more hours, we'll be pulling it out and chowing down!

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
Kojones
14er Checklist (25)
13er Checklist (2)

Re: My First Smoke

Postby Kojones » Sun May 31, 2009 5:37 pm

Almost done!!!!

It is looking like some fine E-A-T-I-N-G-!-!-!-!-!-!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
Mel McKinney
14er Checklist (29)

Postby Mel McKinney » Sun May 31, 2009 6:02 pm

Are you trying to torture us? :D

Hope it was a good dinner. Smoked brisket and turkey breast are good too. Come to think of it, pulled smoked pork is good too. I think I need to go throw something on the grill now.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Postby Jim Davies » Sun May 31, 2009 9:04 pm

This afternoon, I was returning home with chicken to barbecue when the heavens opened up with a multi-hour electrically charged deluge. We ate fried chicken instead. Sometimes I envy people who use propane.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin

Return to “14ers”