Info on Bear Lake in Horn Fork Basin

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info.
jm665
14er Checklist (5)

Info on Bear Lake in Horn Fork Basin

Postby jm665 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:57 am

My question is this......is Bear Lake the lake you can see just below Mt. Harvard in some of the route description pictures? And if so, what kind of fish if any does it have.
For out of State visitors, do you have to buy a fishing license or can you just bring your gear and fish away? Any info would be of great help.
Thanks in advance
ckaptur
14er Checklist (49)
13er Checklist (2)

Re: Info on Bear Lake in Horn Fork Basin

Postby ckaptur » Sun May 31, 2009 5:09 pm

I haven't actually tried to fish there, but Bear Lake is pretty high and will retain ice into the early summer. Also, becuase it is well above timberline, the amount of aquatic bugs, etc., will generally be lower, so fly fishing, at least, might not be so good. Depending on how you plan to approach, there are other lakes in the same vicinity at much lower altitude where the fishing might be better. In any event, you'll need a license (and an out of state license at that) unless you plan to take your chances that no DOW folks will appear. That's a reasonably high risk becuase they can confiscate your gear and especially since you're out of state, retrieving it will be a hassle. There are fly shops in Buena Vista that can sell you a license and give you more local details.
jm665
14er Checklist (5)

Postby jm665 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:26 pm

Great info thanks a bunch.
upndown
14er Checklist (9)

Postby upndown » Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 pm

Yes, the lake you are looking at in the route description pics is Bear lake. Bear lake had plenty of cutties two years ago. Four years ago I went up June 14th and it was still iced over. And yes, you absolutely need a fishing license. I was fishing the South Colony Lakes a few years back and a CDOW ranger showed up and walked all the way around to our side of the lake to check out our licenses. Took him 30 mins to get there. He had hauled a 100lb pack full of fingerlings from the upper TH and told us that since he had to let them acclimate anyway, he decided to take his time and walk around to us and check us out before releasing them. Besides being the law, its the right thing to do. (Why Yes! That WAS preachy John!))
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.

Return to “14ers”