The Pike's Y

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Dad Mike
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (5)
14ers in Winter (58)
13er Checklist (317)

Re: The Pike's Y

Postby Dad Mike » Sun May 31, 2009 1:56 pm

I was on the North Face yesterday...
-hero traverse over the the Y (snow was soft in spots, but safe...trickiest part was downclimbing the first 100ft)
-up the left branch of the Y (best snow was where the snow slid off..outside of path was softer and much slower going)
-ski down the dirct branch of the Y (snow up top was firm, not fun to ski...halfway down the snow was soft on the west half and skiing was great)
-up the railroad (snow was firm on the bottom half, but soft up top where the sun isn't blocked by cliffs)

I'll post trip report tonight
d_baker
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (196)

Postby d_baker » Sun May 31, 2009 5:35 pm

Mad Mike wrote:I was on the North Face yesterday...
-hero traverse over the the Y (snow was soft in spots, but safe...trickiest part was downclimbing the first 100ft)
-up the left branch of the Y (best snow was where the snow slid off..outside of path was softer and much slower going)
-ski down the dirct branch of the Y (snow up top was firm, not fun to ski...halfway down the snow was soft on the west half and skiing was great)
-up the railroad (snow was firm on the bottom half, but soft up top where the sun isn't blocked by cliffs)

Hey Mike...you've been getting the Y done in style this year! Nice work man.
Did Dani climb/board it with you?
ledhead69
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby ledhead69 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:01 pm

B_2 wrote:Hey, I'm glad to see you on here Joe! My husband and I were behind you on the Y on Friday. The ranger was at the top looking for you when we topped out. All I could tell him was that you were too far ahead of us to get a look at you, but you have big feet. ha! We were running out of gas there at the top and didn't top out until about 11am. It was starting to get soft up at the top and we were VERY grateful your steps were there. :D

Glad I could help! I saw y'all way down there and tried to wave once or twice, but to no avail. My folks were in town being tourists, so I took the oppertunity to have a free ride down. When the road was closed and I took the railroad down, my dad was asking around for me when he finally got up, and everyone said they saw a really tall guy with big feet! I guess my La Sportivas make my feet look disproportionately large.

By the way, the trip report is up!

-Joe
Dad Mike
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (5)
14ers in Winter (58)
13er Checklist (317)

Postby Dad Mike » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:52 am

No...Dani had to work.

I don't know if I'll do the Y again from the highway. The late start almost cost me. By the time we got up the Railroad there was a storm moving in and we could here a buzzing noise coming from our skis when we stood up. We crawled up the last 200 yards. The people on the cog must have thought they were under attach. You know...army guys sneaking up through the weeds style.

Return to “14ers”