Castle/Conundrum in mid-June

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info.
DCricket
14er Checklist Not Entered

Castle/Conundrum in mid-June

Postby DCricket » Tue May 26, 2009 7:16 am

Looking at donig Castle/Conundrum in mid-June, via the standard (loop) route. Is this possible w/out crampons and an ice axe?
USAKeller
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (24)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (109)

Re: Castle/Conundrum in mid-June

Postby USAKeller » Tue May 26, 2009 7:58 am

It's a little too early to tell right now, but most likely you won't need crampons for the standard route up Castle. I would definitely bring your axe as you might use it climbing up the first headwall into Montezuma Basin, and definitely on the glissade down from the Castle/Conundrum saddle (it holds snow year-round), unless you are planning on going back over Castle to descend. You can probably kick steps up that first headwall, but if you have the gear, you might as well bring it. Bump this thread again as the time gets closer to see if anyone will have recent beta on the area.
lordhelmut
14er Checklist (50)
14ers Skied (21)
14ers in Winter (5)
13er Checklist (250)

Postby lordhelmut » Tue May 26, 2009 8:54 am

DCricket wrote:Looking at donig Castle/Conundrum in mid-June, via the standard (loop) route. Is this possible w/out crampons and an ice axe?

I'm guessing you could get away with it this year. The snow looked to be melting damn fast when we were there last weekend, didn't get hit as hard as San Juans in terms of dust layers, but its still doing a number on the snow levels. Doing the standard route, leave the points in the car, but bring the axe for safe measure, especially if you decide to glissade as Caroline mentioned.
stonebaez
14er Checklist (37)

Postby stonebaez » Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

I'm going up there this weekend and will let you know what I find.

For those of you with the knowledge, which would you recommend: northeast ridge to castle or condundrum couloir? The couloir looks pretty solid when looking at lordhelmut's view via his TR.
Climb.
stonebaez
14er Checklist (37)

Postby stonebaez » Sat May 30, 2009 3:36 pm

DCricket wrote:Looking at donig Castle/Conundrum in mid-June, via the standard (loop) route. Is this possible w/out crampons and an ice axe?

Just got back from attempting this today, check out the trip report for more info. I definitely needed the ice axe, but I didn't get a chance to break out the crampons as I was forced to turn around. I brought mine, but I was going to try Condundrum Couloir if the mountain permitted. As you can see in the report, there is still a lot of snow up there. I didn't get a chance to make it past the 4WD road where you would need the cramps though :(
Climb.
AlexMack
14er Checklist (30)
14ers Skied (2)
13er Checklist (5)

Postby AlexMack » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:29 am

I skied the North Couloir of Castle on Thursday (5/28). Looks like it's time for me to learn how to make a trip report!!!

Just off the top of my head though I know there was a rather long slough slide on the conundrum couloir.

=D> =D> =D>
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin
aerohr
14er Checklist (45)
13er Checklist (3)

Postby aerohr » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:52 am

We did Castle this weekend and it was doable, but very soft. Eventually had to turn around at about 9:00. Our group was delayed about 1.5 hours, so we didn't start until 6:30 or later which was slightly irritating. I think, had we gotten going at maybe 4:00am it would have allowed enough time to summit. 5:00 may have worked, but if you go after it, I'd suggest getting going really early. Another thing to note - do not take the standard trail (road) when it splits off - you'll save a good deal of time staying on the low path that the skiiers have been skinning. We made that mistake and the rest of our group, who we'd been a good 20-30 minutes ahead of us caught up. There was a recent few wet slides on the aspects that got hit hardest with the dust. It was clear that the layer directly above the dust layer is the one that slid.

You are going to run into substantial snow, no doubt about that. I had a few full leg post holes that didn't hit the ground below, and on the main trail, easily knee deep postholing most of the way up above 11.5-12k. Still a lot of snow.
AlexMack
14er Checklist (30)
14ers Skied (2)
13er Checklist (5)

Postby AlexMack » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:57 am

All of my photos are too big to post on a TR #-o

Anyone know how this can be remedied so I can post my TR??
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin
burningthebushes
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby burningthebushes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:06 am

AlexMack wrote:All of my photos are too big to post on a TR #-o

Anyone know how this can be remedied so I can post my TR??

just resize them. Irfanview is a good simple program for free. then open the image, select Image - Resize/Resample and set the size, I just stick to 800X600 for smaller files. Hope that helps.
Andy
AlexMack
14er Checklist (30)
14ers Skied (2)
13er Checklist (5)

Postby AlexMack » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks for the Irfanview info Andy! I'll be using it more I hope.

My Castle ski TR is UP. My 1st official trip report on here...wow I feel like I'm really moving on up! :D
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6048

Return to “14ers”