Lights for our bikes

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info.
rlw49
14er Checklist (8)

Lights for our bikes

Postby rlw49 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:25 pm

My wife signed us up for the Midnight Ride (bike) in Denver. Front and rear lights are required, so just looking for recs. I see REI has a Cats Eye combo, which is a blinky for the back and a light for the front. I'm assuming a true headlight will not be needed. Anyone have furthers suggestions or recs.
Thanks in advance!

Shouldn't make any difference, but she has a hybrid and I'll just use my mtn bike.
fleetmack
14er Checklist (39)
13er Checklist (2)

Re: Lights for our bikes

Postby fleetmack » Tue May 26, 2009 6:55 am

I've got an insane amount of lights for my bike, all of which I'm very pleased about.

For a rear light, you can spend a ton of money if you want, but you don't need to. I have had 3 different rear lights and this one is far superior to anything:
http://www.rei.com/product/756360

For a headlight, I would suggest she get one... but a "good" headlight doesn't come cheap. Ok, maybe I take that back, she probably doesn't need one if for only this ride, but if she starts doing any kind of regular night riding, I'd most definitely get one. I've had 2 different "cheap" ones and last year, when I started riding a LOT at night, I splurged for an LED. It is worth every penny:
http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=dinotte&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=15896022&Count2=933036446&ProductID=2&Target=products.asp

I also have under-the-frame glow lights to offer side-protection. Not necessary for this ride, but if she starts doing a lot of night riding, I'd suggest it. Plus it gets some cool comments ;)
http://www.rockthebike.com/lights/downlowglow

I also have lights in my spokes, but I only use those on RAGBRAI for a party effect

Here's my bike lit up with ONLY the underglow light ... as you can see, that is really the only light necessary as you can see it forever. Awesome safety device:
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
rlw49
14er Checklist (8)

Postby rlw49 » Tue May 26, 2009 3:45 pm

fleetmack
thanks for the info. don't plan on too many night rides, but is always good to have
perryw
14er Checklist (7)
13er Checklist (2)

Postby perryw » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:33 pm

If you buy a cheaper handlebar-mounted light, it also helps to use a headlamp also; just get the strap adjusted for your helmet before the ride.

Awesome setup fleetmack! We ride every tuesday night here in northern NH, but try to get back before dark, so the headlight/lamps are only used in a pinch.
Did you know that the word gullible is NOT in the dictionary?

Return to “14ers”