Easiest 14er?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Easiest 14er?

Post by Monte Meals »

"I am chubby, and a very slow hiker."

Bingo ! Many of Us Are As Well !

But we still enjoy hiking in the mountains - See you on the trail !

Monte
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

I'm not fast either. Just keep going out there and enjoy our beautiful state!
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Look at my peak list...with the exception of Mt. Lindsey, it will give you a good list of easy 14ers.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
nfalter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nfalter »

alanb wrote:IMO Sherman is easier than Beirstadt..
If you don't mind driving a little, Handies is just as easy as Sherman, and has 100 times better views.
I am looking at doing Handies as my first 14er. We are staying in Telluride. I heard that's too far of a drive from there to get to Handies in time to Summit. Can you tell me where you stayed, how long it took to get from your accommodations to the trailhead, and what time you recommend leaving the trailhead by? Thanks!
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

nfalter wrote: I am looking at doing Handies as my first 14er. We are staying in Telluride. I heard that's too far of a drive from there to get to Handies in time to Summit. Can you tell me where you stayed, how long it took to get from your accommodations to the trailhead, and what time you recommend leaving the trailhead by? Thanks!
I camped at the TH.
2 minutes.
We left around 7:30 am (it was forecasted to be nice).

Closest non-camping accommodations would be Lake City, about 45 minutes away.
Most start around dawn.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
huffy13
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

nfalter wrote:
If you don't mind driving a little, Handies is just as easy as Sherman, and has 100 times better views.
I am looking at doing Handies as my first 14er. We are staying in Telluride. I heard that's too far of a drive from there to get to Handies in time to Summit. Can you tell me where you stayed, how long it took to get from your accommodations to the trailhead, and what time you recommend leaving the trailhead by? Thanks!
Both times that I have started hikes at the Grizzly Gulch/Silver Creek TH, once for Handies and the second time for an attempt at the Redcloud/Sunshine combo, it took about 40-45 minutes to get there from Lake City. It takes a little while longer, probably about 15-20 minutes to drive on around to the American Basin TH. We would try to be at the TH around 6 am and we didn't have an issue getting to the summit before the weather turned.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
Molasses
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Molasses »

Fyi... the Pikes Peak Cog Railway is closed indefinitely for renovation. I think Mt. Sherman is the easiest, but Mt. Bierstadt is the better choice. Many visitors climbing their first 14er will climb Bierstadt. The boardwalk in the willows, and the rock hopping at the summit make it a better experience than climbing Sherman. Or, rent a Jeep and take it to the upper trailhead of Antero, giving your visitors the combined experience of a little 4-wheeling and an easy climb. One last option I don't think anyone else has mentioned yet - Mt. Evans, using the West Ridge via Mt. Spalding, only has 2,000 feet of vertical gain.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

nfalter wrote:
You're quoting a post from August, 2008. I don't think they are going to answer...