Wetterhorn hike trailhead from Ouray

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
whophan
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Wetterhorn hike trailhead from Ouray

Post by whophan »

Assuming a 4WD or high clearance 2WD, is it FASTER to get to get to the Matterhorn Creek trailhead across the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway directly from Ouray, or go around to Lake City (550 to 50 to 149)? If I can come in from the West, are there directions to the trailhead on this site? I only see the ones from Lake City. Thank you!
mr_Chris
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wetterhorn hike trailhead from Ouray

Post by mr_Chris »

I seem to remember that exact question being asked here before, and I think the general consensus is that it is not faster to come in via the Alpine Loop (but much more scenic ;) ).

If you are just looking for the fastest town to TH directions without camping, you'll be much better off staying in Lake City and leaving from there vs making the trip from Ouray via the loop to the TH. If you have to start in Ouray, I still think you are better off on non 4wd road through Lake City, though. I've never been on the loop, so others can attest to the conditions, but I understand it is pretty intense.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Ouray --> 550 to Silverton --> Alpine Loop --> Engineer Pass Road --> over the pass to TH for medium duty 4wd

Ouray --> Mineral Creek Road --> Engineer Pass Road --> over the pass to TH for heavy duty 4wd

Cars and toy SUVs: Go around, alternately hike in from the Cimarron side
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
whophan
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by whophan »

Thanks guys. Sorry if this a repeat topic. I looked around and didn't be see it. Also should have mentioned this drive will be in August. Love the site and looking forward to a great trip.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

whophan wrote:Assuming a 4WD or high clearance 2WD, is it FASTER to get to get to the Matterhorn Creek trailhead across the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway directly from Ouray, or go around to Lake City (550 to 50 to 149)? If I can come in from the West, are there directions to the trailhead on this site? I only see the ones from Lake City. Thank you!
If I remember correctly, you can take the Lake City Cutoff Road at Blue Mesa Reservoir instead of driving all the way to Hwy 149, and that saves approx 20 minutes driving time.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Not sure about that lake city cutoff. Last October, I was driving out from Denver at night and talking to my wife on the phone, and way overshot 149.

I routed it in my phone, which still showed to go back to 149 instead of taking the cutoff.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I have taken the cutoff and I felt that it saved at least a little time as well as quite a few miles. A bit bumpy in a couple spots when I did it (summer 2015). Granted I was in a passenger car and even with my low clearance it was not too bad.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

Marmot72 wrote:Not sure about that lake city cutoff. Last October, I was driving out from Denver at night and talking to my wife on the phone, and way overshot 149.
I routed it in my phone, which still showed to go back to 149 instead of taking the cutoff.
That has more to do with the map data and routing software than anything else. The map data may not be accurate, but even if it is routing software will almost always prioritize highways and paved roads over county and unpaved roads, even if slower. I've only taken the cutoff twice since it's usually out of my way, and it's been so long ago I can't remember how much difference it made. Google will send you on it right now and shows 28 minutes for 15.5 miles taking the cutoff, 36 minutes for 33.6 miles taking 50 over to 149 and back around.

For OP, in my opinion starting from Ouray, six one, half dozen the other. Now, if you were starting in Silverton... If you search on Engineer Pass or Alpine Loop you should find plenty of threads with more detail.