First Time 14er's at 60???

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dennisd
Trip Reports (0)

First Time 14er's at 60???

Post by dennisd »

I'm hoping we can get some expert opinions and guidance. My wife and I are planning our first 14er to Grays in two weeks. Along with other first timers, we have questions about our ability to tackle this. We are 60, not overweight (I'm 5'6' 155 lbs., my wife is 5'1" 125), have done a lot of less strenuous hiking with hiking poles and are active and in decent shape. My wife has had some difficulty with being out of breath at times while hiking. She has some reservations about this adventure. When I read other first time accounts, it's hard to tell if they're 20 or 70. My take away from other hikers is to start very early, slow and steady, keep an eye on the weather and be able to change clothing as conditions change. I know it's tough to say but are we biting off more than we can chew? Your thoughts and opinions are really appreciated. Thank you!! Dennis
C-Shepguy
14ers: 19  2 
13ers: 44 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: First Time 14er's at 60???

Post by C-Shepguy »

I doubt you'll find a single person here who won't tell you to at least give it a try. My first time there, I was with someone who wasn't physically ready for it. We went halfway up, enjoyed the beautiful views, and had a great day anyway. It's just really cool hiking at high elevations.

Even if people told you not to, I would hope that you would go at least check it out anyway. Go explore. You're certainly not too old.
MikeK
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MikeK »

Some things to consider, I suppose, for us older summit baggers (that's what we used to call it in stead of "peak bagger"). I'm 56, 5-11, 250 pounds when dressed and carrying my backpack, and a competitive powerlifter during the colder months (so at least most of my excess weight is muscle). I just came back to hiking 14ers this past July after a 14 year hiatus and have been on three summits since then -- although the first took me three tries, one hike to 12,100 feet. the second to 13,000, then the successful one (of Torreys, BTW). I guess you could call the first two tries training climbs, lol. Now, I've been on a weight loss regimen in the gym for several months, so my cardio-pulmonary system is in really good shape; the fact that most of my muscles are built for anaerobic, explosive movements gets some mitigation. You sound well-prepared and will certainly be carrying less weight than I do, so I would say give it a try.

If your wife has had a history of shortness of breath, even at times, I'd advise getting a doctor's opinion, if you haven't already; although there are people who scoff at some of the "humbler" 14ers, the fact is that every last one of them is a serious mountain -- in aviation, 14,000 feet is classified as a "very high altitude" for pilots; a week after I hiked up Quandary Peak in 2002, which is a very straightforward, non-exposed 14er, a guy managed to die up there (I think he fell off of, well, something). I met a young (20s), very experienced guy on Lincoln this summer, who the week before had come down with a nasty case of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) on Mt. Democrat just the week before -- although there seems to be some evidence that younger people are more susceptible to that particular malady than us oldsters.

If everything has checked out medically, there shouldn't be any reason why, if you start early and take it at a comfortable pace, you shouldn't be fine. I met a very nice couple in their 70s on Bross this past Wednesday; they were already on their way down as I was still plodding up. Just bring plenty of water, snacks, and layers -- as you mentioned -- and if the weather holds up -- as you also mentioned -- you can enjoy the exertion, as well as the views. Here's my rule of thumb: When I feel too out of breath, I stop and catch my breath. Works like a charm. And, as I get higher, if I have to do so every 100 feet, or 50 feet, or 30 feet, or even 10 feet (although if I'm not on a steep final summit pitch and I have to stop every ten feet, it's probably time to call it a day, lol. If I am on a final pitch, well, summit fever takes over anyway.)

(I need to start a thread for big, old, heavy guys like me. Ha!)
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Age is not always a hindrance to climbing a first time 14er. I summited Mt. Elbert my first 14er at the age of 73 in 2013. Since then, I have bagged thirteen 14ers.

Just listen to your body!

Wish you the best of luck!
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I'll echo Mike's comment that if you have any medical doubts it makes sense to have a doc examine you/your wife and give the thumb's up. Just common sense if you have doubts in that regard. That aside, sounds like you have the basics down: early start, slow steady pace, take breaks as you wish, it's not a race. Bring some light clothing and a rain shell(s) if the weather turns bad, etc. Sunscreen, snacks, fluids. Go until it becomes hard work, then decide if you want to push on. It'l be there later for another try if you turn back. If it becomes really miserable you might never return, who would want to with that experience?

One last thing: I think Quandary might be a better first pick. That Grays/Torreys trail always seems so rocky early on, demoralizing, and the parking can be a bother. Maybe just me.

Anyway, give it a go, it might ignite a real passion. Who knows? And you can always turn around, no problem with that. Have fun, be safe.

-Tom
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

C-Shepguy wrote:I doubt you'll find a single person here who won't tell you to at least give it a try. My first time there, I was with someone who wasn't physically ready for it. We went halfway up, enjoyed the beautiful views, and had a great day anyway. It's just really cool hiking at high elevations.

Even if people told you not to, I would hope that you would go at least check it out anyway. Go explore. You're certainly not too old.
+1

Also start early. It gives you more time to summit, less crowded on the way up, and lets be honest, you older people go to bed at 6 pm and wake up at 4 am anyways :lol:
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pmeadco »

I'm 56, 6'2", 185#, and I just finished all the 14ers last week. Don't let your age hold you back. If you are in good condition then there is no reason to hesitate. If you aren't in good condition then take some time to get in condition, just like you would when you were younger. It isn't the number that determines your limitations, it's your current physical condition.

Have fun! Hiking is a great way to spend time with your partner.
Last edited by pmeadco on Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
passionforhiking
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by passionforhiking »

I started at 63, in very good shape and have completed 30 by 68, plus 6 or 7 duplicates. I think your wife's concerns should be given priority. I moved to Denver area from a low elevation. Therefore I chose hikes that progressively moved to higher altitude starting at 10000 feet, to 11000, to 13700'. Then I attempted my 1st 14er which was Bierstadt (paved road access now). Grays/Torreys is not paved and access road a few years ago did not get me to the trailhead with low clearance vehicle. I would attempt Mt. Sherman first. Of course weather conditions in 2 weeks will dictate what you will be able to do or not do. Wishing you the best and safest of adventures.
droidly
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (9)

Post by droidly »

In two weeks I'm taking my 80yo mother-in-law up Bierstadt for her first 14er. She is very fit, but she has yet to hike above 9000'. She might not complete it, but she wants to try and she will enjoy the beauty regardless!
----------------------------------------------------------
we're at the end of the map. there be monsters here. ~barbossa
MikeK
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MikeK »

TomPierce wrote:I'll echo Mike's comment that if you have any medical doubts it makes sense to have a doc examine you/your wife and give the thumb's up. Just common sense if you have doubts in that regard. That aside, sounds like you have the basics down: early start, slow steady pace, take breaks as you wish, it's not a race. Bring some light clothing and a rain shell(s) if the weather turns bad, etc. Sunscreen, snacks, fluids. Go until it becomes hard work, then decide if you want to push on. It'l be there later for another try if you turn back. If it becomes really miserable you might never return, who would want to with that experience?

One last thing: I think Quandary might be a better first pick. That Grays/Torreys trail always seems so rocky early on, demoralizing, and the parking can be a bother. Maybe just me.

Anyway, give it a go, it might ignite a real passion. Who knows? And you can always turn around, no problem with that. Have fun, be safe.

-Tom
And I'll echo Tom in return: While the Grays/Torreys hike is eminently do-able, whether you do either or both, the start of the trail and the portion just before you reach 13k has more rocks than Quandary, and the parking can back up over a mile from the trailhead.

Enjoy yourselves, and may the bug bite you like it bit me again!
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

Just climbed Massive and Holy Cross at 64+. Though in very good health and training hard I am always winded on my climbs,making frequent breath-catching stops. It's just me and how I respond to altitude (from Ohio) though I experience no other problems or side effects. Tell your wife to give it a try and be willing to let her rest a lot and you both have a good shot. Follow all the wisdoms shared, be patient with yourselves and each other, take your time and have a glorious day out together. But I'd sure put Huron out there s a great choice if you want to drive a bit further. The reward is spectacular views!! I hope you both get out and enjoy a great day up high!
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
dennisd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dennisd »

C-Shepguy wrote:I doubt you'll find a single person here who won't tell you to at least give it a try. My first time there, I was with someone who wasn't physically ready for it. We went halfway up, enjoyed the beautiful views, and had a great day anyway. It's just really cool hiking at high elevations.

Thanks for the encouragement C-Shepguy!! I think we'll take your advice and give it a go. I think we'll kick ourselves for not giving it a try.