Grays and Torrey's basic question/advice

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Grays and Torrey's basic question/advice

Post by Rollie Free »

I was on the road a few weeks ago, didn't think it was that bad. I wouldn't take a low rider up there but I thought some careful driving would do in a moderate clearance vehicle. Its only 3 miles.

I have a suggestion that may be a bad one but should someone try Kelso Ridge on a first 14er situation? I thought it was great fun (my first class 3). My only surprise was how much energy it took out of me. The class 3 I loved, the constant class 2 was exhausting for an out of state 50 something (but well worth it).

I guess I am at the point of walk ups being rather dull.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
stone-door214
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stone-door214 »

What would be a good 'base town' for a Grays and Torreys hike?
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

stone-door214 wrote:What would be a good 'base town' for a Grays and Torreys hike?
Georgetown is the closest "real" town on the east side; Dillon/Silverthorne on the west. Each about a 20-minute drive to the TH. Dillon/Silverthorne will have WAY more lodging, dining, etc. options.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Rollie Free wrote:I was on the road a few weeks ago, didn't think it was that bad. I wouldn't take a low rider up there but I thought some careful driving would do in a moderate clearance vehicle. Its only 3 miles.

I have a suggestion that may be a bad one but should someone try Kelso Ridge on a first 14er situation? I thought it was great fun (my first class 3). My only surprise was how much energy it took out of me. The class 3 I loved, the constant class 2 was exhausting for an out of state 50 something (but well worth it).

I guess I am at the point of walk ups being rather dull.
Depends on their experience outside of 14ers, I did Longs Keyhole as my first fourteener and Ellingwood Arete shortly thereafter, maybe my 4th or 5th fourteener. I did Kelso ridge there too, I remember just jogging up that. Of course I'm super rad and extreme, so take that into account.
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:Of course I'm super rad and extreme, so take that into account.
Well said!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

stone-door214 wrote:What would be a good 'base town' for a Grays and Torreys hike?
Denver is 60 miles and 75 minutes depending on how gonzo you are on the rough access road. Locals dont find it necessary to camp unless you enjoy that aspect. Thats why you see 300+ hikers on a summer weekend day.
brandoye
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brandoye »

TravelingMatt wrote:
Glennriver wrote:what day of the week should I target (weather aside)?
Thursday. That's when the unicorns come out.

I'm going this Thursday! Looking forward to the unicorns
DukeofArmchair
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DukeofArmchair »

Hello, new guy here! My wife and I are planning on doing Greys/Torrey's in the next couple weeks and are a little concerned about getting to the trail head. I was looking at the trail head road difficulty http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhead ... iculty.php and it indicated Greys is paved to the trail head however I have read in a couple places its not a good idea for a 2WD car. I have a VW GTI, what are the thoughts on getting to this trail head?
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

DukeofArmchair wrote:Hello, new guy here! My wife and I are planning on doing Greys/Torrey's in the next couple weeks and are a little concerned about getting to the trail head. I was looking at the trail head road difficulty http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhead ... iculty.php and it indicated Greys is paved to the trail head however I have read in a couple places its not a good idea for a 2WD car. I have a VW GTI, what are the thoughts on getting to this trail head?
On that list, you're looking at the Loveland Pass TH, which is for a completely different route that is longer and requires more vertical ascent. Look for the Grays Peak TH on that list. That's the one for the standard route. You can click on that and see updates on the condition of the road. I wouldn't take your GTI up there!
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

" I wouldn't take your GTI up there! "

Not a Problem !

If you wouldn't mind, I would be glad to
try for a FKT attempt up that road in
YOUR GTI :)
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

DukeofArmchair wrote:http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhead ... iculty.php and it indicated Greys is paved to the trail head however I have read in a couple places its not a good idea for a 2WD car. I have a VW GTI, what are the thoughts on getting to this trail head?
If you are lucky enough to hit a summer when Grays road has been re-graded, then a sedan could make it. Doesnt sound like that has happened yet this year.
DukeofArmchair
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DukeofArmchair »

lol, well maybe another peak OR hitch a ride :) not tied to Grays