Steve Gladbach Memorial Moments Video Series

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Steve Gladbach Memorial Moments Video Series

Post by kushrocks »

globreal wrote:
dcbates80911 wrote:Well done…thanks Britt.
It's not just me….

You can thank:
Brenda Porter--CMC
Uwe Satori--CMC
Jim (Winchester) Schermerhorn
Nick Gianoutsos
Nona Gladbach
Kiefer Thomas
Rachel Vermeal-CMC
Susan Paul

They've all been involved in one way or another.
To all of you. . . THANK YOU!!! This is awesome and will help so many people. =D> =D> =D>
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Post by dcbates80911 »

globreal wrote:
dcbates80911 wrote:Well done…thanks Britt.
It's not just me….

You can thank:
Brenda Porter--CMC
Uwe Satori--CMC
Jim (Winchester) Schermerhorn
Nick Gianoutsos
Nona Gladbach
Kiefer Thomas
Rachel Vermeal-CMC
Susan Paul

They've all been involved in one way or another.
Well done to everyone involved. Great way to remember Steve by passing along vital knowledge.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Just an excellent example of the type of positive and educational focus that Steve believed in. Well done. =D> =D>
hollamby
14ers: 58  2  2 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hollamby »

Well done!
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

Very well done videos! Packed with lots of info =D> =D> Thanks everyone involved.
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

To everyone involved...Well done and Thank You for putting these together!!!
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

A thank you to all involved, nicely done, and a great tribute to Steve.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

^^What everyone else said. Well done, Britt et al.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

globreal wrote:Attached is Video 2 in the series to carry on Steve Gladbach's legacy. Steve was a huge winter climber, and was exceptional at reading and avoiding avalanche danger. This video focuses on things to think about before venturing out on a winter mountaineer climb. The goal is to raise awareness and point folks to educational opportunities.

Onwards!
Britt

It's been just over 4 days since these videos were posted. And while there have only been 19 comments/responses here on 14ers.com, the number of views are much more. Here are the YouTube stats as of Dec. 03, 10:30am.

Video 1 views: 481
Video 2 views: 298

So this tells me that many people are missing this second video on AVALANCHE SAFETY AND AWARENESS.
FYI--It's also posted in the 3rd post in this thread.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

I have to admit, I was apprehensive about these videos. I wrote, shot, edited, and produced commercials for broadcast and cable TV for a few years, and even a 30-minute weekly show for cable for a while. I know how hard it is to make them appear professional, especially when you add in speaking roles. To be perfectly honest, I was prepared for a disaster (sorry, Britt).

Thankfully, and due to the extraordinary talents of those involved, you all have pulled off a great couple of videos that serve as both an appropriate tribute to Steve, and as an introduction to the need for education, experience, and mentors in the mountains. Specifically, the second video is near and dear to my heart, having lost a friend and climbing partner to an avalanche. I know there are many people on this site who have experienced similar tragedies, and who are fully aware of the need for proper - and early - training.

I hope the CMC can find a way to integrate these into their BMS classroom courses, and support future episodes. I will warn you that they are notorious tightwads, supported largely by the volunteer efforts of their membership (each of whom pays a hefty annual fee for that honor), so good luck getting them to agree to part with any more funds.

Thanks for doing this - I look forward to the next video in the series!
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Thanks Susan. I thought they turned out well, too They captured exactly what we wanted to convey and talk about.

CMC funded the first two through the Steve GladBach Memorial Fund. The committee will continue to promote mountaineering education and looks forward to receiving other proposals. Whether or not they fund more videos, well, they want diversity in projects and participants. Britt and I are working on getting more funds from other sources. With these videos, we have something to show and maybe generate interest. I like your idea of using these videos in CMC classes. I am doing a CMC AVY AWARENESS lecture on Tuesday. Good opportunity to take you up on it. Thank you for all your support and good ideas!
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Well done videos. Hopefully this legacy of Steve will make a difference in a decision somebody makes someday - and we won't know, because they will stay out of the news. It was a shock learning about Steve earlier this year. It plays on my head how many times I've been on a mountain - more than most and with a few adventures along the way. To have Steve, with not only his experience, but his skill, lost, it makes me question what I'm willing to do. People see my resume and see a lot of experience. But I know there are so many people out there with skill sets way beyond mine. There is always more to learn, and I know I'll never be at Steve's level or the level of a lot of younger people on this site. We've had a rough few years. One result is I've lost a lot of the nerve I had when I was younger. I look forward to seeing some more of these videos.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert