planing a trip for the first week of january....

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
xcrag_corex
14er Checklist Not Entered

planing a trip for the first week of january....

Postby xcrag_corex » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:48 pm

I will be heading out to Colorado the first week of january and i have a couple questions.....
me and my friends are heading to Ouray for ice fest. while out in the San Juans area we wanted to do some 13ers/ 14ers. we were looking for stellar hikes with minimal avy danger and relitivly mellow... any suggestions/ recomendations?

Recomended hostels/ hotels in the area?
recomended ski/ snowboard resorts? we are eastcoast folk and we want to get on some of that legendary Coloradi Powder!!!

-Jeremy
gonzalj
14er Checklist (40)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (13)

Re: planing a trip for the first week of january....

Postby gonzalj » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:19 am

While I don't have any lodging suggestions in Ouray, if you make it to Telluride and their absolutely awesome ski resort, then the mountain lodge up in the mountain village is a great place to stay. Nice condo like accomodations, heated pool & hottub with ridiculous views of the surrounding downtown Telluride 13ers as well as the Wilson Group. In terms of 13ers/14ers, I pretty much know all the ones around Telluride are tough mountains and my guess would be that they would all be pretty avy prone, so can't help much there. Anyway, have fun and enjoy that georgeous part of the state (also, just a recommendation, but you probably wouldn't want to drive south from Ouray on the million dollar highway through red mountain pass and towards Silverton as that driving in winter can be extremely treacherous and very avy prone).
Scott P
14er Checklist (46)
14ers in Winter (16)
13er Checklist (30)

Re: planing a trip for the first week of january....

Postby Scott P » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:04 am

Handies from the Silverton side would probably be the most reasonable choice for a 14er if you are staying in the Ouray area. Even then make sure to evaluate conditions carefully.

The other 14ers in the area would be a step up in the risk factor and the experience required. Sneffels, for example might not be extreme in a technical sense, but the route does cross much avalanche terrain.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Return to “Just Starting? Info for 14er Beginners”