Wanted: Recs for Day Hikes Near Santiago

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Wanted: Recs for Day Hikes Near Santiago

Post by I Man »

Hello all,

I am having trouble narrowing down a good choice for a day hike near Santiago for my girlfriend and I at the end of January. We are very limited on time (only 3 days together in the city) and want to do a hike, preferably more than a 1 hour stroll inside the city.

El Plomo looks too difficult for her, especially coming from sea level, but she has done 14ers recently. Looking for something that will feel a bit alpine, maybe get above 14k and within 2 hours of the city.

Thanks in advance!

I Man
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Wanted: Recs for Day Hikes Near Santiago

Post by spiderman »

El Plomo is amazing even if you only make it to the 13,500' refugio. The views along the way are outstanding.
skik2000
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 12 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skik2000 »

Cajon del Maipo is pretty sweet. You could hike up the valley towards Cerro El Morado but you wouldn't get the altitude you're looking for. Towards El Plomo are Cerro La Parva and Cerro Pinto which are easy scree walks that'll get you up higher than the hike in Cajon Del Maipo.
mrburns
14ers: 20 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mrburns »

+1 on Cajon de Maipo. we hiked up to the San Francisco glacier not as high as you were asking for but a very cool day hike.

http://www.visitchile.com/en/tours/san- ... ke.htmlike

That link is for a tour, I am at work so I don't have time look for a better link. You won't need a tour group or anything like that, the hike is very straight forward .

Others may have had a different experience, but we had a tough time finding decent maps in Chile, so you might try to order some before you go.
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson