14ers.com Members Summit Gasherbrum II

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Zambo
14ers: 58  5  16 
13ers: 160 10 9
Trip Reports (40)

Re: 14ers.com Members Summit Gasherbrum II

Post by Zambo »

Way to go fellas - very cool stuff. This is certainly one TR I can't wait to read.

Any news yet if they made it back to relative safety?
"Human beings climb at their peril. Some might think that by climbing a great mountain they have somehow conquered it, but we can be only visitors here."
dereferenced
14ers: 25  1  15 
13ers: 19 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by dereferenced »

Scott P wrote:
A lot of people say what they did can't be done
Who? :?:
Last I heard, Ryan’s team climbed G2 without oxygen, or a guide, or high altitude porters. We all know Reinhold Messner can do that, that it’s humanly possible, the hard question is knowing if it’s possible for you to do something like that.

I’ve tried to plan a couple of these trips and talked to people who’ve been to the Himalayas. Most of the people I talked to had climbed with oxygen and said it wouldn’t have been possible without. I met a couple people who had climbed without oxygen, but had Sherpas carrying their gear, and they said it wouldn’t have been possible without the Sherpas. I never met a single person that thought I could go for a trip without all that support, just a bunch of people who said it would be impossible.

So, it's intimidating to even attempt an independent trip like this. There’s fear of the unknown, fear of failure, fear of death. You know, just travelling to Pakistan scares me. I’m impressed that Ryan and his team had the nerve to even do this trip, and just blown away that they all summited successfully. Congratulations to all of them! Here's hoping that Jeff feels like he can rest a little now, and is no longer compelled to climb Morrison 4 times a day.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

dereferenced wrote:
Scott P wrote:
A lot of people say what they did can't be done
Who? :?:
Last I heard, Ryan’s team climbed G2 without oxygen, or a guide, or high altitude porters. We all know Reinhold Messner can do that, that it’s humanly possible, the hard question is knowing if it’s possible for you to do something like that.
Yes, I agree with all that, but I'm just wondering who specifically said that they couldn't do it or that it was impossible.

I think everyone would agree that it is indeed a great accomplishment, but I can't think of that many climbers would tell someone that such a feat couldn't be done, by strong climbers at least.

I think (or would at least hope) that us fellow climbers would be encouraging about such a venture to our fellow climbers (while also wishing them a safe return), rather than to tell anyone that it can't be done. I know many Himalayan climbers, and I can't think of any who would say such a thing (that it was impossible or couldn't be done by anyone).

As for myself, I'd never make it up something like the Casual Route on the Diamond (for example), but I wouldn't have the guts to tell someone else that it was impossible or couldn't be done.

There were threads on this climb before hand and at least on 14ers.com most people were posting encouraging words, except for maybe post about the fundraising.

Thus, I was just wondering who specifically was being referred to (without trying to cause a debate). Was it anyone on 14ers.com? :wink:

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the trip report and photographs!
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

I will send you a PM, Scott.

This thread should not be about the ethics of styles on climbing big peaks, and focus on the guys and their accomplishment.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

Zambo wrote:Way to go fellas - very cool stuff. This is certainly one TR I can't wait to read.

Any news yet if they made it back to relative safety?
Chris Tomer just posted on FB that they made it back to Camp 1 at 19,300', where they'll have to wait out a storm. So I think they're down through the most dangerous stuff but obviously not totally in the clear yet. Get back safely, guys!
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Nice work, congrats!
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

Congratulations Ryan and team!!!!
You have a lot of proud people waiting for you in Colorado and Cali!!!!!
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 41 14
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

Yeah!!!!
Good luck breeds bad habits.
letourneau41
14ers: 50  2 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letourneau41 »

Congrats! What an accomplishment.
Every man Dies, but not every man truly lives.
astrobassman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 191 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by astrobassman »

The guys are back down safe. No Os, no Sherpa support, first 8000m peak for all of them, only 9 summits of an 8000m peak this summer in Pakistan and 3 were these guys. Badass.
photo3.jpeg
photo3.jpeg (72.37 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
photo2.jpeg
photo2.jpeg (152.69 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Jesus K2 looks beautiful.

Great job Ryan and Co, how many people can say "Hey, I did a 8000m peak (without O2, without Sherpas) and survived". Very few. A rare few. Be very proud.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
dereferenced
14ers: 25  1  15 
13ers: 19 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by dereferenced »

Ryan's been running a fundraiser to go with this climb. Consider donating:
http://biacolorado.org/gasherbrum-2-fundraiser/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(sorry if this was posted here before, I hadn't noticed it until today)