Huayhush Trek

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Huayhush Trek

Post by steelfrog »

Greetings All.

I'm hoping some of you on here might know the Huayhuash and be able to help with detailed questions.

I want to do this:

Start at Cajatambo, get a 4wd ride north/west on the road toward Uramaza; start hiking end of that road;

Proceed past Huayllapa, head east up the Rio Calinca to Juraucocha and Sarapococha;

Climb Cerro Gran Vista; then head south over Passo San Antonio and pick up the main trail

Head south over Punto Cuyoc past Laguna Viconga and

Then back east down Rio Pumarinri to Cajatambo.

Is this a feasible loop?

Thanks.
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Huayhush Trek

Post by planet54 »

I trekked in the Cordillera Huayhuash back in 2006. My trip was north of the route that you want to do with the exception of the Laguna Jurau and San Antonio Pass area. It is pretty awesome around there. We camped for 2 nights at Cutatambo and hiked up a crude trail to Seria Punta but did not go to Cerro Gran Vista which is only a bit higher. We went over San Antonio Pass from south to north, it is not too difficult at all. Generally the main trails are well worn and easy to follow but we did a bunch of off trail routes that I really enjoyed. Cajatambo has a reputation of being a rough town and be prepared to pay fees to the locals for crossing their land. I think it is better to just pay them to avoid conflicts, we skipped Huayllapa because of this. We started at Quartelhuain and went clockwise to Llamac over 12 days ,burro supported. Your proposed route is feasible because everything is on main trails except San Antonio Pass and Cerro Gran Vista and I know they are passable. Good Luck.
Yerupaja South side.jpg
Yerupaja South side.jpg (273.09 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Thanks. That's some good info

Could anybody else provide info on the itinerary? Or on getting from Lima to Huayhuash?
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

And also if anyone might have an opinion as to something by Alpamayo as an alternative. Maybe up Santa Cruz valley then fart around Alpamayo then over Punta Union