Nepal safe this summer???

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Nepal safe this summer???

Post by Scott P »

Well,I don't think that the people in Nepal including climbers, guides and sherpas would argue over the definition of a winter ascent all day.
Then you aren't familiar with Himalayan mountaineering history because that's the exactly the kind of thing that has been debated for years now. :wink: Winter ascent dates are highly argued among Himalayan mountaineers. Part of the reason is because the Eastern Europeans and Russians use the definition of December 1 through February 28 (or 29th on a leap year), Americans use the calendar winter, and the Nepalese government uses December 1 through February 15, but there has been talk of Nepalese Government invalidated summits before the solstice. Some historians divide the lists into different lists with different criteria. Of course that's a whole different topic that has already been discussed many times, even on 14ers.com. If you really wanted to read into this further, there are several books available on Himalyan mountaineering history.

Among some of the Sherpa climbers, even more debated are speed ascents. Perhaps the most famous rivals disputing each other's ascents are Pemba Dorjee Sherpa and Lhakpa Gelu Sherpa. The Nepalese Government makes the final call, but it doesn't mean they don't debate it even after the government rules in one or the other's favor.

Then again, I see no need to derail the thread further.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

Many thanks for your interesting comments that really increase my knowledge of another world of mountaineering.

quote="Scott P"]
Then again, I see no need to derail the thread further.[/quote]

You are one who brought up the subject of a winter ascent in this thread, not me.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

You are one who brought up the subject of a winter ascent in this thread, not me.
I was talking about myself. Now, back on topic....
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.