Carrauntoohil

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nikolai
Trip Reports (0)

Carrauntoohil

Post by nikolai »

In my last few weeks in Ireland, I managed to get out to touch the highpoint of this beautiful island.

I’ve been here for three months in Cork for business, and I have been fortunate that European cities are compact such that I am within walking distance of everything I need in life—except of course for mountains. They are far away, and public transport doesn’t go anywhere near them.

We had an announcement late in the week last week that our laboratory space would be closed on Saturday and Sunday due to utilities work. I immediately reserved a car, and my business partner and I headed out to Macgillycuddy’s Reeks on Saturday.

absolutely miserable conditions with almost no visibility, but I clearly chose the wrong camera setting...

We drove out first thing in the morning on Saturday. My business partner slept in the car on the way out there, then decided that she should probably continue sleeping while I ran up Carrantuohil.

I made quick progress through the mist and rain through the valley from the Cronans Yard trailhead, and then I hit the Devils Ladder.

Devil’s Ladder is a 45 degree waterfall that rises ~750 feet from the valley. It was sloppy and tiring, but it wasn’t worse than some of the approaches to LoJ peaks I’ve hit. Except that this was a waterfall.

Once up on the ridge, it was short work to hit the highpoint, and I managed to run into three Corkonian mountain men on top. I teamed up with them on a much nicer route down the mountains with rock scrambles and some 4th class descents. I can’t find any description of it or map reference—a locals-only route perhaps?

the weather started improving at the end. Hags Tooth on the right, Carrauntoohil lost in the clouds on the left

When we rejoined the main trail in the valley, I found my business partner picking her way along the gravel trail in her flip-flops, so I turned her around and we went back to the car to enjoy the rest of our weekend in Kerry County.

We finished off the day camping on a totally deserted Inch Beach
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Carrauntoohil

Post by Brian C »

Very cool! I really wanted to do this when I was out there a few years back but the weather was crap the whole time. Beautiful area!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had whiteout conditions on that mountain. Granted, I climbed it in November. It's a shame too, because on a clear day I'm sure the view is spectacular.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Hard to time that one as far as the weather goes. It was really socked in when I did it as well. I did catch a glimpse of it on another occasion. Gorgeous area.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

The locals know a lot of good routes. One includes crossing a farmers field on the back side, which cuts off a lot of distance. My friends jaws dropped when they heard this. I had pretty decent weather, if a bit windy, but my camera battery crapped out on the ascent. Thankfully some Kiwi's had the same battery type as me, so I could snap summit photos. Too bad it was just an old P&S back then. The photos never did the views justice.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina