Fast track to Everest summit?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Fast track to Everest summit?

Post by Dakota »

I was wondering what some of the members of the forum who have been to Everest think of this idea. Is there anything critical to be gained by hiking the long route to Basecamp? It seems like a similar concept to Denali in a way.

If it works, I see the advantage of avoiding crowds for a higher success rate chance as well as from a safety stance. It seems like it could also be unsafe if you force it too quickly as well. Would ropes be fixed all the way to the top that soon? $89,000 is a lot to find out.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ad ... Track.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
AndyJB444
14ers: 16  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fast track to Everest summit?

Post by AndyJB444 »

Sounds even more risky, for both client and guide. Maybe there's a niche for it...I'd be looking for clients who are likely experience, fit, and rich. Unfortunately most times folks only have 2 of those 3...
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Ed V said it best...

• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

geojed wrote:Ed V said it best...

Pfft. That guy is forever taking airplanes into cities close to the mountains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Macart ... Expedition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is a endless string of shortcuts.

:mrgreen:
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

SkaredShtles wrote: Pfft. That guy is forever taking airplanes into cities close to the mountains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Macart ... Expedition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In that case, why didn't Macartney-Snape start from his home in Meekatharra, Western Australia and then sea-kayak to the Bay of Bengal?

He had take a shortcut and FLY to Ganga Sagar, India and walk from the Bay of Bengal...Wimp...
Attachments
no shortcut to Everest.jpg
no shortcut to Everest.jpg (218 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

geojed wrote:
SkaredShtles wrote: Pfft. That guy is forever taking airplanes into cities close to the mountains.

In that case, why didn't Macartney-Snape start from his home in Meekatharra, Western Australia and then sea-kayak to the Bay of Bengal?
You want my guess? It was because he's lazy.
He had take a shortcut and FLY to Ganga Sagar, India and walk from the Bay of Bengal...Wimp...
Yup. Shortcuts. Life is full of 'em. And we all arbitrarily draw the line at what is "acceptible" for our style. Just keep in mind - it's *my* style. Nobody else's. Your style is yours. We're all cheaters in someone's eyes.

Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Don't forget Goran Kropp, who bicycled from Sweden to Everest, summited, then rode back to Sweden.
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/10/10/books ... -part.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Jim Davies wrote:Don't forget Goran Kropp, who bicycled from Sweden to Everest, summited, then rode back to Sweden.
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/10/10/books ... -part.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gettin' close.

But riding a bike to Nepal is an obvious cheater's shortcut.
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

The ultimate would be to go to the Antipodal point of Everest (Latitude:-27.985818°
Longitude:-93.076404°) and swim from there, then walk once you get to land.

Or start from Everest BC walk/swim around the world and THEN climb Everest!
Attachments
Too silly
Too silly
image.jpg (69.79 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Dakota007 wrote:I was wondering what some of the members of the forum who have been to Everest think of this idea. Is there anything critical to be gained by hiking the long route to Basecamp? It seems like a similar concept to Denali in a way.

If it works, I see the advantage of avoiding crowds for a higher success rate chance as well as from a safety stance. It seems like it could also be unsafe if you force it too quickly as well. Would ropes be fixed all the way to the top that soon? $89,000 is a lot to find out.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ad ... Track.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pretty ridiculous. Alan says it all in that Outside Online article. Ballinger is trying a new scheme and to cater to the very wealthy and ill-experienced who want to rush an experience that for most people will change their lives for the better. I would hope people would be smarter than that, but I know better. They're always out there.
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

jbchalk wrote: Pretty ridiculous. Alan says it all in that Outside Online article. Ballinger is trying a new scheme and to cater to the very wealthy and ill-experienced who want to rush an experience that for most people will change their lives for the better. I would hope people would be smarter than that, but I know better. They're always out there.

I think AndyJB444 had a good point in stating it might be a niche route for highly athletic people. I could see it as a window for sponsored athletes that are looking to add Everest to their portfolio with sponsorship cash without the sponsor having to bother with too much of the logistical side.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
dereferenced
14ers: 25  1  15 
13ers: 19 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by dereferenced »

AFAIK, there are usually only a few good windows for summiting in May, after the jet stream moves away from the mountain and before the monsoon starts. I think that the most crowded summit day is usually the 1st of those windows. So, I'm not sure that acclimating faster or starting earlier could help you avoid other climbers. I'd assume that Ballinger's shorter expeditions would just start later and summit around the same time. I don't think that being on the standard route in the spring would be a an experience I'd want, either way.
Everest-climbers-form-a-l-001.jpg
Everest-climbers-form-a-l-001.jpg (97.43 KiB) Viewed 2142 times