Banff National Park

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Emily
14ers: 58  13 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (3)

Banff National Park

Post by Emily »

Hi all, I am headed to Banff National Park for a few days in mid-November (flying into Calgary on 11/13 and leaving on 11/18). Has anyone spent time up there? I am looking for some suggestions -- fun peaks, hikes, scrambles, easy ice (if anything is in yet) near Banff or Canmore. I would also welcome recommendations on places to stay and other things to do/see in the area. Thank you!
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Banff National Park

Post by cougar »

I'm sure conditions will be much different in November vs. August (they started getting steady snow in mid Sept) but some good classics there are:

Lake Louise -> Lake Agnes -> Glacier View (there's a loop system of trails if I recall)
Castle Mountain - all the way to the summit is a bit long, but there's a big alpine lake (Rockbound Lake) halfway up before the scrambling starts - you can decide from there whether to continue.

Moraine Lake - famous views, couloirs

Around Canmore, Peter Lougheed Provincial Park borders Banff - it's in the Kananaskis rec area, and has some nice spots - lake hikes following streams, and you may find some ice up there. I did a hike to Three Isle Lake on a rainy day, which was recommended but there are probably better options. The view from Lake Kananaskis dam is pretty good in itself. There are plenty of waterfalls all over, and ski resorts.

I don't know if Icefields Parkway (Jasper) is open in Nov but that's a highlight for sure.

The Castle Mountain hostel in Banff is very nice, centrally located, and you can get a lot of info and recommendations there from the host
The Lake Louise Hotel is luxurious
tjerasdave
14ers: 30 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjerasdave »

Be sure to check out Emerald Lake as well.
mtnview
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mtnview »

You are kind of coming in the off season where hiking is diminishing and skiing is not quite ready.

A couple of trips I do recommend is Ha Ling Peak which overlooks Canmore 2hours to the summit.

http://www.truedino.com/haling.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the hike up Sulphur Mountain in Banff. Trail starts near the Banff Hot Springs and hikes switchbacks beneath the Gondoloa to a nice restaurant on top of the mountain. As of now you can take the gondola down for free.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cthulhu 2008
14ers: 58  13  13 
13ers: 119 12 5
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Cthulhu 2008 »

I fly to Banff Sunday for a conference. This is a timely thread. Keep the ideas coming! :-D
Cthulhu 2008 - Why Vote For A Lesser Evil
Ross_Browne
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ross_Browne »

My favorite hike in that region in the Iceline trail in Yoho national Park. It is immediately adjacent to Banff, it has spectacular views above treeline, and multiple giant waterfalls. I actually prefer Yoho to going up the parkway to Jasper. Yoho has impressive, jagged, glaciated peaks, towering cliffs and waterfalls, and lakes. Technically it is not part of Banff but it is very close to Banff. The hiking is challenging and scenic, yet the trailheads are accessible via paved roads and easy to find.
ahrendse
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ahrendse »

In addition to the lakes and glaciers mentioned above, Tunel Mountain was a pretty and easy hike that starts in the Banff townsite. If you head up to Lake Louise, hike up to Lake Agnes and grab some tea at the tea house (assuming it's open) and then go up Big Beehive which gives a different perspective of Lake Louise.
Emily
14ers: 58  13 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Emily »

Thanks so much for the input! I really appreciate it. I realize that this is the off-season, but it's the only time that would work out for us to go. I have been looking at the Alpine Circuit around Lake O'Hara and the Alpine Club of Canada huts. If anyone knows of a decent guidebook for peaks in the area please let me know :)
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Huts are great.

Alpine circuit Lake O'Hara great

Books:

Don't Waste Your Time in the Canadian Rockies

Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies (there are 2 volumes)