has anyone been to Greenland to hike or climb??

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hornpeak
Trip Reports (0)

has anyone been to Greenland to hike or climb??

Post by hornpeak »

For my 50th birthday my wife is taking me to Greenland and Iceland! I see several other posts about Iceland but nothing about Greenland? We will be flying into Nuuk and starting our adventure there. If anyone has been to either place I would love to hear about them. Thanks
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: has anyone been to Greenland to hike or climb??

Post by Kiefer »

hornpeak wrote:For my 50th birthday my wife is taking me to Greenland and Iceland! I see several other posts about Iceland but nothing about Greenland? We will be flying into Nuuk and starting our adventure there. If anyone has been to either place I would love to hear about them. Thanks
I'm heading back to Iceland Oct. 9th for a week.
I've looked into 2-3 day short trips to Nuuk but for the time, I can't justify the cost. Greenland
deserves a week all to itself. The coastal valleys look freaking amazing!
Jared Diamond has three chapters in his sophmore book, Collapse, that detail the fall of the norseman (vikings)
in Iceland, Greenland & Vinland that's absolutely fascinating.

When are you going?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I haven't been to Greenland yet, but just in case no one else answers who has, I do have information, maps, and a fairly basic hiking route description for the Narsarsuaq to Narsaq route, which is on my list. You would have to take a short flight Nuuk to Narsarsuaq though.

If you want a photocopy of the map and info, I could send it to you, but I'm not sure if you are planning on sticking around in Nuuk.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

I've been lucky enough to hike, climb and kayak in Greenland on four different adventures. It's wonderful! Hit me up with a PM if you have any specific questions, but overall I can tell you it's a magical place. I've gotten to explore both the west and east coasts. Some of my favorite hikes in the world were right out of the town of Tasiilaq on Ammassalik Island, in fact one of the easy to reach summits out of town is the header photo on my blog.

Nuuk (and the west coast in general) is a bit more accessible but also has great hiking. Oh and if you think marmots are bad, arctic fox are way worse!
Greenland-Tasilaq-Vista.jpg
Greenland-Tasilaq-Vista.jpg (253.89 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

I have never been to Greenland and cant comment on that part but have done a bit of hiking in Iceland and it is AMAZING! Hopefully you have quite a bit of time in Iceland because for such a small country, there is SOOOO much to do!

I know you asked about Greenland in the OP, but if you have any questions about Iceland feel free to PM me.

Brian
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.