Climbing in New Zealand?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Climbing in New Zealand?

Post by polar »

Some of the best bouldering in the world!

In terms of traveling within the country, it depends on how long you'll be there. If you're staying for more than a couple of months, then it's probably worth the trouble to buy a cheap van and sell it when you're about to leave. A lot of international travelers are doing that, so you can come by some nice camping rig with a bed and mini kitchen and all that. If you're visiting for less than a month, I've had good luck getting around on buses and hitch hiking.

Enjoy your trip, it's a really beautiful country.
Attachments
30_castlehill_20.jpg
30_castlehill_20.jpg (129.04 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I met many people who were staying for months, that flat out would buy a van, then sell it before leaving. There's tons of places to rent out vans, though. A hut pass also cost around $90 NZ, and there are dozens and dozens of huts in the area. Hitch hiking is/was easy (maybe a 5 minute wait?) Lots of backpacker places. I paid for camping maybe twice, lots of the backpackers allow you to camp as well. Lots of places to camp off the road. If it's private property, there's usually a very friendly sign telling you not to camp.

Take heed to this:
Weather will change quickly, rivers rise and become unpassable for a day or two, carry extra food.
That's... happened to me.

Go anywhere, really, except Queensland.

Wanaka for the win.

Lots of ski areas on volcanoes. Lots of legit glaciers, so bring that stuff, fer sure. Even the hikes are incredible. Copeland track's first hut is two stories and next to a hot springs. You can follow the track all the way to Mt Cook Village, although gear is suggested, as the trail was damaged.

And get ready for sandflies because they'll be ready for you. MUAHAHAHA!

OOOOOH man, do I miss scroggins - the selection - the entire CONCEPT. Completely out of control. Nothing like it here.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I would think that a bus pass and a tent would be cheaper than renting a van and easier than buying and selling one. Buses are convenient and comfortable, and access almost all climbing areas.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

When you say access all climbing areas, do you mean its super easy to just get dropped and picked up at trailheads?

Isn't it a huge pain carrying your heavy pack everywhere like for instance if you wanted to go grab lunch or something? pardon the noob questions but my only experience with something like this was backpacking through Europe post college but pack wasn't heavy with tons of climbing gear....

thanks for the wanaka suggestion and to the other responses!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Scott P wrote:I would think that a bus pass and a tent would be cheaper than renting a van and easier than buying and selling one. Buses are convenient and comfortable, and access almost all climbing areas.
From what I experienced, buses are filled with Euro Trash kids on their Wanderlust. I was only 27 when I was out there, but I was already cranky about it.

It's very common for people to buy vans in NZ, then sell them afterwards -

http://www.backpackingmatt.com/how-to-b ... w-zealand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you're going to NZ for < 3 months, I would say that would be a mistake, too!

I could see how carrying an enormous pack would be annoying. Most of the towns outside of the cities (I use that term, lightly), are very small - there's not much walking to do! You could always go to a backpackers, and just ask to store the gear with them for a bit.

People hitchhiking their way through the hut system is also not a rarity. I kept bumping into the same guy again and again across NZ, until he started working at a backpackers in Wanaka. Then I bumped into him, there too!

It's a small, small place in some regards.

The kindness of people from New Zealand knows no bounds.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Here you go, buddy. This one is totally in New Zealand and you should do it New Years with us.
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/la-nor ... /107867905
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
KyleS
14ers: 44  5  7 
13ers: 25 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KyleS »

We were there during their winter, so my experience may or may not be applicable depending on what time of year you'll be there. But here's my two cents:

While I agree that hitchhiking in New Zealand is safe and totally acceptable, getting a ride to a remote trailhead could easily burn an entire day if possible at all. For example, we were able to catch a ride to Arthurs Pass Village fairly easily, but we were unable to catch a ride anywhere once we got there, even from National Park staff. It gave us little choice in start times, added miles to our approach and put us in awkward positions trying to reach backcountry huts before dark. It's also extremely important to remember on the way out, as you'll need extra food (and fuel, and potentially shelter) for the day(s) that you're waiting at the trailhead for a ride out. If you're planning on something off the beaten path, you'll want a camper van - bus and hitchhiking will likely be impractical.

That being said, camper vans aren't ideal for more popular destinations. Wanaka and many National Parks, for instance, require that your camper van have a kitchen and bathroom. This means you're not talking about a camper van at all, but what is essentially an RV and everything that goes with one (waste dumping, electrical hookups, etc). So you'll end up spending dozens per day on RV rental and then dozens per night on a space in an RV park, which was not the wilderness experience we were looking for. One solution is to rent a car (hatchback/station wagon would be ideal so you could sleep in the back if necessary) and use the extra cash to pay for accommodation in places that don't allow freedom (dispersed) camping. That worked rather well for us on certain missions. Also, we were able to get some incredible deals (sometimes entirely free) by doing one-way car relocations and hitching or riding the bus back. Something to look into.

As stated above, hostels can be depressing. Generally, they're filled with 18 year-olds on package bus tours. We had high hopes of meeting other climbers in hostels and that did not happen. However, many good climbing spots have lodges owned by the local climbing club and you can rent a bunk from them for reasonable prices. Here we met lots of climbers and guides who offered useful beta and even spare gear for our objectives. These lodges are harder to get info on, but totally worth the extra trouble. These are not covered by the hut pass that Justiner referred to - that is only valid for government owned huts, and even then only the ones that are not popular. We bought that hut pass and used it enough to break even, but there isn't a single pass for all the huts and you really need to pay attention to the fine print on who owns which huts and the particulars of staying there.

Lastly, climbing gear is insanely expensive there. Prices for used gear there are higher than it costs new here. You could conceivably buy brand new gear here, use it during your trip and sell it used for a profit before coming home. Guide services are generally the only place to rent gear, and they generally only let it go out with guided customers. So pay for the extra baggage on your flight and bring everything you'll need.

And Avalanche Peak in Arthurs Pass is a walk-up. If you're looking for something spicier, try Rome Ridge on Mt. Rolleston.