Awesome looking mountain

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
chrismjx
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Awesome looking mountain

Post by chrismjx »

Scott P wrote:
Is this in Asia?
No, this Pico Cão Grande in São Tomé and Principe, which is an island nation just off the coast of Gabon, Africa.
$10 says it's sacred to the locals and no one is allowed to climb it.
I'll take that bet, but you owe me $10. :wink:

It's a difficult climb though, too hard for me, tough the surrounding mountains are also very nice looking. It was first climbed in 1975 (I think) and has seen few ascents.
Wow, what an exotic location! I googled the country after seeing your post, and as someone who considers himself pretty sharp on geography, this is an entire COUNTRY that I don't recall being aware of! What were you doing there? Is it an easy place to travel? Safe?