How achievable is Elbrus unguided?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
polishruben
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: How achievable is Elbrus unguided?

Post by polishruben »

hi Eds,

In 2008 , me and my friends organized Elbrus expedition, unguided and unsupported. It is perfectly doable, but prepare for the some adventures along the way.
On Elbrus, guides are absolutely not needed. If you want to spend your money, I would spend it on getting the permits and securing your stay at the barrels and above with a Russian based company. Besides that, it is pretty straight forward trip. US - Moscow - Mineralne Vody and then bus or taxi to the mountain.

Again, there is a red tape along the way ( usually paper work and bribing the cops along the way ). On the mountain the route is perfectly visible and marked with red flags. You cannot miss it, unless you get into a whiteout.. The lift takes you half way up there. It was a fun adventure :)!
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Post by benners »

For reliable, up-to-date information on permits and other red tape issues, as well as info on climbing the peak, you should consider shooting a PM to my buddy Jon (ossie322 here on 14ers.com). He lives in Nalchick (about an hour away from Elbrus) and has climbed the peak multiple times in the last two years. I'd imagine he'd be able to give you some good information seeing as he lives in the area full-time.

Ben
scheelt
14ers: 44 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scheelt »

I climbed Elbrus from the North side in Jul 07. It is perfectly doable unguided. In fact, if I ever go back I will defiitely do it unguided. I went with pilgrim tours and can definitely recommend the lite package if you want to go unguided. Two warnings:

1. Be aware of glacier travel and crevasse rescue. While descending in a storm our guide, leading from the front, suddenly disappeared. One second she was in front of me, the next all there was was a hole where she had been standing. She fell through a previously unseen crevasse. Fortunately some of us had some experience and we were able to pull her out with out any issues. While pulling her out, though, another member of our party broke through the snow, but was able to catch himself on the edge and did not go in, though his pack went to the bottom. The rest of us crossed furhter down where the snow bridge was still solid but took additional precautions while crossing.

2. Pay attention to the weather. On summit day, we left at midnight and visibility was clear and a million. It remained that way until just before we reached the saddle when a storm moved in from the south (we could not see it coming). We were enveloped in a thick fog and blowing snow in less than 5 minutes. On our way back down the storm got worse when it began to lightning. There was so much static in the air that my sunglasses with plastic frames (perched on my hat because I had been wearing them before the storm hit) were humming. The humming would increase in pitch until the lightning came. And there is no place to take cover on the open glacier. Got to the point when I could recognize several seconds before the lightning would hit so we could duck. We were lucky!
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Never underestimate the cold and weather on Elbrus: http://www.explorersweb.com/everest_k2/ ... p?id=20668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very sad news on such a young gal.