Vilcanota Range - Peru - Ausangate vicinity

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wyoming Bob
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 105 3
Trip Reports (53)

Vilcanota Range - Peru - Ausangate vicinity

Post by Wyoming Bob »

Thought this report might be of interest as I believe I've seen past posts speaking of Ausangate, south of Cusco. Regardless . . . if one is thinking Cusco and climbing, this is the group of mountains that you can see rising south of Cusco. We tried to find info as to peaks other than Ausangate before we went but pretty much struck out. Hence, a pay the favor forward post in case anyone is thinking Ausangate or, as we did, lesser peaks in the area combined with a trek.

Its the usual Climbing with Bob extended report, too many pages and likely tedious, but it has our logistical info and lots of photos of the routes and climbs. We ended up summitting a glaciated peak named Campa I, a low 18'er and a Coloradoesque high 17'er by the name of Cerro Lliani. We tried to get up the flank of Cerro Mariposa, a.k.a. Santa Catalina but the wind, snow and stomach bug put a damper on that attempt. Ended up out for 11 or 12 days, mostly above 15k and covered about 70 miles from start to finish. We also threw in a day trip to Machu Picchu

If interested here is the Link to the start of the report.
Wyoming Bob
http://www.climbingwithbob.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Win some . . . lose some . . . CaSO4.2H2O.
SLKRR
14ers: 7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Vilcanota Range - Peru - Ausangate vicinity

Post by SLKRR »

Looks really cool. Someday I'd love to get over there and to Cordillera Blanca. Stunningly beautiful terrain!