Climbing in Peru

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Adventurgal
14ers: 58 
13ers: 120 1
Trip Reports (1)

Climbing in Peru

Post by Adventurgal »

Happy New Year -

Just checking in to see if anyone has advice/suggestions on fun peaks to climb in Peru? I'm looking for several peaks and something between 19k-21k with moderate difficulty.

I've climbed Cotopaxi & Cayambe in Ecuador, and Illimani and Huyana Potosi in Boliva without difficulty.

Thanks.
Debbie
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Climbing in Peru

Post by Scott P »

Peru is a big place. Any particular areas you are visiting?

For example, the Cordillera Blanca is a long way from Ausangate or Arequipa.

If I were to make the choice, Ausangate would be #1 on my list, but I haven't climbed that one yet. Alpamayo is spectacular, but crowded.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

I can recommend Huascaran. You fly to Lima and take a bus to Huaraz. The area is really beautiful and accesible.

G
mtnmaneric
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 373
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaneric »

From the town of Huaraz, Artesonraju and Ishinca are both amazing, but not terribly difficult.

Pick up 'Classic Climbs of the Cordillera Blanca' by Brad Johnson - great guidebook.
Bullwinkle
14ers: 43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Bullwinkle »

Highly recommend the Huaraz area. Plenty of hiking/climbing itineraries for all levels of competence and available time. Plenty of good choices for accommodations, food, and guides. Don't skimp on the bus ride--take the first class bus from Lima.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed
mtnmaneric
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaneric »

Bullwinkle wrote: Don't skimp on the bus ride--take the first class bus from Lima.
+1000

We skimped on the way there, worst 9 hours of my life.
bif
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bif »

Just as a curisoty. What does a first class 9 hour bus trip cost there days?
mtnmaneric
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaneric »

bif wrote:Just as a curisoty. What does a first class 9 hour bus trip cost there days?
Less than a bar tab on a good night.
Bullwinkle
14ers: 43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Bullwinkle »

Por ejemplo (for example):

http://www.go2peru.com/ecs3_ing_b.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed
brett.t.burch
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brett.t.burch »

bif wrote:Just as a curisoty. What does a first class 9 hour bus trip cost there days?
This isn't exactly where you're looking, but should give you an idea: http://come2peru.blogspot.com/2009/02/h ... y-bus.html. I've read (Moon, Lonely Planet, online...) that it's very worth it to pay the price of better bus lines.

As an aside, and hopefully not hijacking the thread, if anybody has some suggestions (what to skip or what to definitely do) for a 7 - 10 day trip in May that I'm planning in Peru, feel free to shoot me a message. There's way too much to do (high peaks, amazon jungle, lima, machu picchu, etc), so any help would be appreciated.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

if anybody has some suggestions (what to skip or what to definitely do) for a 7 - 10 day trip in May that I'm planning in Peru
This isn't the answer you are looing for, but my suggestion is that if you only have 7-10 days, then personally I wouldn't go to Peru. Too much time will be eaten up by travel time and it's much better to spend longer. If 7-10 days is all you have, then I would suggest waiting until more time is available. I would suggest an alternate destination. I know that isn't the answer you are looking for, but I think if you ended up going then you would probably be inclined to agree.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

Scott is 100% correct concerning traveltime. Peru and Bolivia require a bunch of time to get around let alone specific places out side of La Paz or near Lake Titicaca in Bolivia or major areas of Peru(Lima ,Cuesco(sp))---take time and enjoy