Climbing/hiking in Japan

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Climbing/hiking in Japan

Post by nyker »

For anyone interested in seeing some beautiful scenery, hiking with few people around, climbing some seldom climbed peaks and lots of wildlife with a touch of the exotic, you should visit Hokkaido Japan.

Located in the northern part of the country, much of the scenery is very much like Colorado, particularly in winter. Brown bears (Grizzlies) still roam as do deer, fox, and many other animals and the island has good seasonal poulations of eagles. In the winter, you'll often see ice flows on the shore.

Attached are a couple of photos. We visited Daisetsuzan area and the Shiretoko peninsula, including Shiretoko National Park, a beautiful place in the north.
Attachments
DSC_3255-16xSM.jpg.jpg
DSC_3255-16xSM.jpg.jpg (238.72 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
DSC_3204-16xsm.jpg.jpg
DSC_3204-16xsm.jpg.jpg (256.69 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
shelly o
14ers: 50  2 
13ers: 27 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climbing/hiking in Japan

Post by shelly o »

wow. I was in Japan this summer but didn't get quite that far north. I was in the central mountains and they were quite beautiful as well, but the scenery there looked more akin to a strange fusion of San Isabel and Oregon.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Yea, it's a pretty cool place! Especially, after spending time in Tokyo and the suburbs, it's like another world up there. So quiet at night also. I want to go back in Autumn to see the salmon run and the bears. Winter would also be cool to see both the eagles and congregations of the famous Hokkaido cranes.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Other than Mt. Fuji and Hokkaido, any recommendations for anything in Japan? I'm going to be spending a lot of time there in the next few years.
Google doesn't seem to have a ton, but it might also be the language barrier...

In priority order I'm especially looking for class 4 and 5 summer mountaineering routes, general winter mountaineering, ice climbing, rock climbing, general hiking, and mountain biking areas.
It seems like there is some considerable skiing, but I can't find hardly anything on mountaineering or ice climbing. ](*,)

I'll be about an hour south of Tokyo, and 4 hours west of Nagano, so Fuji is actually pretty nearby, but I won't go over there until winter conditions make it more interesting.

If you know of any good places to go, books to check out, web sites, people to talk to, etc, please let me know!
quattordesch
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quattordesch »

Following (I have 1-2 work trips to Japan coming up this year).