Mt. Elbert

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Keyton518
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Elbert

Post by Keyton518 »

I was wondering what would be the best route to summit Elbert in winter. Would it be,east or northeaster route? If anyone could hit me up with a recent trail condition on them also that be cool.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Mt. Elbert

Post by Scott P »

East Ridge. The road to the Northeast Ridge isn't usually open in winter.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Keyton518
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Keyton518 »

Ok thanks I appreciate it that be my luck drive from Longmont and the road be closed haha. How's the trek in winter on this route? I usually hear that Elbert is "boring" in other seasons so I figure I'd make it more interesting doing it in the winter lol.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Keyton518 wrote:How's the trek in winter on this route? I usually hear that Elbert is "boring" in other seasons so I figure I'd make it more interesting doing it in the winter lol.
It's s long slog if you do it in one day, but it isn't technical. The route is so gentle that an ice axe is pretty useless. There is no avalanche danger if you stay on route, but there can be if you get off route, so make sure to stay on route.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Keyton518
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Keyton518 »

That sounds pretty reasonable to me. If you don't mind me asking how long did it take you when you trekked it?
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

Scott P wrote:
Keyton518 wrote:How's the trek in winter on this route? I usually hear that Elbert is "boring" in other seasons so I figure I'd make it more interesting doing it in the winter lol.
It's a long slog if you do it in one day, but it isn't technical. The route is so gentle that an ice axe is pretty useless. There is no avalanche danger if you stay on route, but there can be if you get off route, so make sure to stay on route.
+1. The biggest issue on the East Ridge is if you have to break trail. Even starting very early after a moderate snow dump two of us turned around after just getting worn out. At least the hike down was easy=D>

I have done the SE ridge in winter but it was brutal. Parking is easy but it's a hump.
Keyton518
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Keyton518 »

Damn ok I might give it a shot. Not sure yet I'm stuck between Elbert and Sherman I'm not sure what one. Elbert is long but safer and Sherman is shorter but a little more sketch I hear. You guys done Sherman at all?
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Keyton518 wrote:You guys done Sherman at all?
No, never. :roll:
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjmartn1 »

rijaca wrote:
Gee, I wonder why noobs never stick around on the forum very long when the old-timers are ever so helpful like this?
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

tjmartn1 wrote:Gee, I wonder why noobs never stick around on the forum very long?
Yeah, over the past couple years I've sent about a dozen private messages to new people to answer their specific question and explain the various degrees of hostility they encounter. Sometimes members just post something to be funny, but the new person never gets the joke. I'm guilty of this.

In this case, I think rijaca wants Keyton518 to read the many past threads on Sherman in winter. But the forum would be boring without fresh threads, so Idk.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

tjmartn1 wrote:
rijaca wrote:
Gee, I wonder why noobs never stick around on the forum very long when the old-timers are ever so helpful like this?
Is this better?
Yes. Several times. :mrgreen:
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Keyton518
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Keyton518 »

Damn man my bad for a question. Didn't know this place was full of egos