Mt. Elbert

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Keyton518
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Elbert

Post by Keyton518 »

Just trying to get some solid info on some s**t.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

It's an internet forum, Keyton. People try to be humorous but the irony of many of the jokes don't come clearly through in the text since emotion isn't easily expressed. Anyway, best of luck on either Elbert or Sherman. I would love to do Elbert this month but I am so out of shape since I have been watching the Patriots instead of going up to the mountains. \:D/ I think that there has only been one person to do all of the state highpoints in the winter. I am still stuck at a measly 3 and know that there is zero chance of wanting to do a two month pitch black suffer-fest on Denali.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Yep. Keyton, don't get your panties in a wad. Folks on this forum like to have a little fun. No biggy.
The winter route on Sherman this time of year is a good slog. I'm guessing - at a minimum - you'll be starting from around the Leavick mine ruins, maybe even further back. That adds a few miles to the trek. I'm not trained in avy danger so get that info from someone else. However, the winter route which is pretty much a straight line between Sherman and White seems mellow enough. There could be some seriously deep snow in some sections. One word of caution. The area is littered with old mines. Be careful where you step. You can't see the mines under the snow so stay on course. Keep to the high points or slopes whenever possible. Depending on conditions, you want to make the ridge between Sherman and White instead of straight to Sherman's summit. The summit may have a formidable cornice. Pay attention to the weather as whiteout conditions up there will leave you lost in a winter wonderland. I don't recall anyone ever dying on Sherman so don't get all famous. It may only be Mt. Sherman, but it still stands at over 14K. Enjoy!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
CHeimCO
14ers: 4 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (2)

Post by CHeimCO »

Keyton, Mount Elbert IS in Colorado! Lmfao
spiderman wrote:It's an internet forum, Keyton. People try to be humorous but the irony of many of the jokes don't come clearly through in the text since emotion isn't easily expressed.
This is funny because you posted your question in: Outside Colorado>USA - Other Peaks.

We were all noobs once...