Whitney's Mountaineering Route late March-early April 2017 anyone???

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Whitney's Mountaineering Route late March-early April 2017 anyone???

Post by spiderman »

Just giving you a hard time out of envy. It is tough enough living in a 3rd world country like USA now. I get so much grief from my Canadian coworkers. They keep asking when I am going to apply for asylum. I have to admit that the mountains in Alberta are far more spectacular, and challenging, than anything that we have in Colorado or California. Maybe the tremendous difficulty of climbing the Canadian Province highpoints makes it so much less popular than the much easier US State highpoints. Mt. Columbia (AB) was far more challenging and rewarding than anything that my son and I have experienced so far in the lower-48. I liked the expedition so much that I use the pic for our Avatar. Nevertheless, Whitney does have a fond place in my heart since I grew up just south of it and would climb it once a year with my father.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

spiderman wrote: Mt. Columbia (AB) was far more challenging and rewarding than anything that my son and I have experienced so far in the lower-48
Have you considered that perhaps the reason for this is because you're afflicted by the disease mentioned by Dave?
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

spiderman wrote:Mt. Columbia (AB) was far more challenging and rewarding than anything that my son and I have experienced so far in the lower-48.
That's hardly representative of all of Canada -- the Columbia Icefield is the biggest ice cube south of Alaska, and the parts of the Canadian Rockies not covered in ice and snow are often hideous choss. If you want something similarly challenging in the lower 48 (though in a different way), you need to get yourself some North Cascades.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

spiderman wrote: How come nobody in Canadia knows anything about Province Highpoints?!
Because myopic peakbaggery with an utter disdain for technical proficiency is a uniquely American disease?

#repost
offensivepost_subPG13.jpg
offensivepost_subPG13.jpg (114.49 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
Make wilderness less accessible.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Canadian province high points actually do have a fair range of technical skills required to climb them all, as opposed to just four technical state HPs in the United States. Many of us do suffer from myopic peakbaggery. Getting all of the Colorado 14ers is more about check marks than difficult climbs. The county highpointers are the worst afflicted people that I have ever seen. Nevertheless, I am glad to have lists to work on that require more determination than skill since I have far more of the former than the latter.

The Mountaineer's route on Whitney in March would be pushing my limits, and many of the OP's climbs are above my abilities. My public apologies to the OP for my poorly expressed humor and sarcasm.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I might be in that area then and I wouldn't mind doing Whitney again - lets touch base as it gets closer and I'll see what my schedule is like if I can make it work or not.
BerkeleyBuff
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BerkeleyBuff »

I'm potentially interested in this. The Mountaineer's Route is one I've had on my wishlist for quite some time.Unfortunately I haven't climbed any 14ers since moving to Cali three years ago, besides Quandary when I go back to visit Colorado. So I may not be able to join you simply for not wishing to slow you down.

In general, can anyone with more experience on the Cali 14ers suggest routes that would be good to start with/ get my legs back under me?
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

BerkeleyBuff wrote:In general, can anyone with more experience on the Cali 14ers suggest routes that would be good to start with/ get my legs back under me?
I've only been on 7 of California's 14ers so I'm by no means an expert. That said, there are three key differences to take into consideration. The Cali 14ers:

1. Require longer approaches than most Colorado 14ers.
2. Are more technical and exposed than most Colorado 14ers.
3. With the exception of Mount Shasta, most require a permit in advance.

That said of the 7 that I have done, probably the best introductory routes are the Standard Route on Mount Whitney, the Standard Route on White Mountain, and the Avalanche Gulch route on Mount Shasta. You could also add the Army Pass Route on Mount Langley to this list, but the approach via Cottonwood Lakes is pretty long (albeit scenic).

Most of the other routes on the Cali 14ers get into more serious scrambling (the Sierras) or roped glacier mountaineering (Mount Shasta). Also it should be noted that Class 3 scrambling in California approximates Class 4 scrambling in Colorado in most cases. If your up for the scrambling type of route, the Mountaineers Route on Whitney will be right up your alley (it's definitely a classic and even has an interesting approach to Iceberg Lake). I also really enjoyed the Hotlam/Bolam Glacier route on Mount Shasta as an introduction to the Cascades a few years back.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

BerkeleyBuff wrote:In general, can anyone with more experience on the Cali 14ers suggest routes that would be good to start with/ get my legs back under me?
That depends what "get my legs back under me" means. If it's about exposure or scrambling, then the standard routes on Langley, Whitney, and White are all hikes. If it's about distance and gain, then White is about the only "gimme" dayhike by CO standards. Whitney, Russell, Muir, and Shasta all the only ones that require special dayhiking permits. For the rest, you only need a permit to camp.

Anyways, you might check out this recent thread this recent thread
BerkeleyBuff
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BerkeleyBuff »

Appreciate the insight. I'll be giving Shasta + one other a go this winter/ spring.
josee menard
14ers: 28 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (5)

Post by josee menard »

BerkeleyBuff wrote:Appreciate the insight. I'll be giving Shasta + one other a go this winter/ spring.
Considering an ascent of Mount Shasta via Avalanche Gulch + Mount Hood via southside-Hogsback on my way down to Whitney
irish_will
Trip Reports (0)

Post by irish_will »

Just joined this board to sync with you..

Still Looking?

I've only completed whitney via the Whitney Trail had an unsuccessful attempt on the MR last year. Would love to try again.

Happy to fill you in more about me if you are interested.

Will