Salt Creek (Canyonlands) backpacking questions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Salt Creek (Canyonlands) backpacking questions

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks for the feedback Kai. The idea would be to do it in the other direction, though---stash the bike at the top (Cathedral Butte), drive to the bottom (Squaw Flat), and hike up from Squaw Flat to Cathedral Butte. So the bike ride back would be going back downhill from Cathedral Butte to Squaw Flat. Because the road loses 2k ft of elevation, I figured the ride back might not be so bad. And now that I think about it, on my ride out, I could even ditch most of my pack weight near Cathedral Butte trailhead if I wanted, and pick it up in my car on my way out later that day. I just don't know how rough that road is because I have never been there. Does it seem easily bikeable? Does it have any tough uphill sections on the way down? (I'm hoping it's fairly consistently flat/downhill). I don't mind a few short nasty sections that I have to walk the bike over. I was thinking, once I make it to the main paved road I might even be able to hitch a ride back to the Needles trailheads if the bike ride becomes too painful. Anyway, I left a message with Coyote Shuttle (thanks for the tip) to inquire about their rates, but I suspect they will charge more than what my cheap bike is worth, so I'd probably rather save that money towards an upgrade of my bike! (or sleeping bag, etc.)
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

rdp32 wrote:Thanks for the feedback Kai. The idea would be to do it in the other direction, though---stash the bike at the top (Cathedral Butte), drive to the bottom (Squaw Flat), and hike up from Squaw Flat to Cathedral Butte. So the bike ride back would be going back downhill from Cathedral Butte to Squaw Flat. Because the road loses 2k ft of elevation, I figured the ride back might not be so bad. And now that I think about it, on my ride out, I could even ditch most of my pack weight near Cathedral Butte trailhead if I wanted, and pick it up in my car on my way out later that day. I just don't know how rough that road is because I have never been there. Does it seem easily bikeable? Does it have any tough uphill sections on the way down? (I'm hoping it's fairly consistently flat/downhill). I don't mind a few short nasty sections that I have to walk the bike over. I was thinking, once I make it to the main paved road I might even be able to hitch a ride back to the Needles trailheads if the bike ride becomes too painful. Anyway, I left a message with Coyote Shuttle (thanks for the tip) to inquire about their rates, but I suspect they will charge more than what my cheap bike is worth, so I'd probably rather save that money towards an upgrade of my bike! (or sleeping bag, etc.)
Oh sorry for the confusion, most people start at Cathedral Butte and go the other way so that's what I assumed you were doing. It would be an easier bike ride going the way you suggest (Cathedral Butte to Squaw Flats) but is by no means all down hill or flat. There are definitely a few hills along the way no matter which direction you go. Nothing too steep or technical but you might have to walk in a couple places, particularly with a backpack on. :P

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Yeah, I'll start at Cathedral Butte if I get a shuttle, but if I'm doing the biking option then I'd rather do the other way so that the bike ride is mostly downhill. I would only be hiking 4-5 miles the last day (from campsites SC1/2) before the long bike ride, so I'm hoping it's do-able. Actually, I'm thinking my plan is now to do the following:

reserve campsite SC1/2 for night 1.
SC3 for night 2
SC1/2 for night 3

With this plan, I would drive to Cathedral Butte trailhead, and if the bike ride looks too tough, I can just start and end from Cathedral Butte, staying the night at the reserved spots. That option wouldn't cover a lot of trail miles, but I hear there is a lot to explore in the SC1/SC3 region, so hopefully there's enough cool stuff to fill a few days. But if the road looks bikeable, I'll stash the bike, start at the lower end, and camp in the at-large camping zone on night 1, then hit SC3 on night 2 and SC1/2 on night 3. That itinerary would still give me plenty of time to explore the SC1/SC3 area, since I have an entire day between those two campsites. Would anyone recommend any changes to this itinerary?
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

OK, we're doing a through-hike of Salt Creek canyon in a couple of weeks (via car shuttle; no bike needed after all) and I have a few more questions so I thought I'd revive this thread:

1. We will be starting at Cathedral Butte and heading north. I was planning on ending at the Squaw Flat trailhead instead of the Cave Spring trailhead. It's a little longer, but I just assumed it would be more scenic/fun. Is that indeed the case? How challenging is the terrain in that section? (a little minor scrambling is fine for my group)

2. On my Trails Illustrated map, it looks like the trail has constant water access from Cathedral Butte all the way to the Peekaboo campsite; it looks like you never go more than a mile or so without hitting the creek. Is that the case? Should I expect the creek to be dry in any major sections at this time of year? Are there any patches where the water availability/quality is iffy?

3. Speaking of which, I've never actually filtered water in the desert before. Will my little Sawyer Squeeze filter be sufficient, or should I bring some other pre-filtration (bandana, coffee filter, etc.)?

Thanks!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

1. We will be starting at Cathedral Butte and heading north. I was planning on ending at the Squaw Flat trailhead instead of the Cave Spring trailhead. It's a little longer, but I just assumed it would be more scenic/fun. Is that indeed the case? How challenging is the terrain in that section? (a little minor scrambling is fine for my group)
It would add some different scenery, but your time would be better spent making side trips from Salt Creek rather than the trail to Squaw Flat. There is lots to explore. Spend extra time in Big Pocket or exploring the side canyons rather than the trail to Squaw Flat. There are lots of hidden ruins, pictographs, and arches in the complex. If you still have time, explore the West Fork.
2. On my Trails Illustrated map, it looks like the trail has constant water access from Cathedral Butte all the way to the Peekaboo campsite; it looks like you never go more than a mile or so without hitting the creek. Is that the case? Should I expect the creek to be dry in any major sections at this time of year? Are there any patches where the water availability/quality is iffy?
There is water from about Wedding Ring Arch all the way down. During summer, especially during drought conditions, it can dry up in places, but in Spring, waterflow should be continuous.
3. Speaking of which, I've never actually filtered water in the desert before. Will my little Sawyer Squeeze filter be sufficient, or should I bring some other pre-filtration (bandana, coffee filter, etc.)?
The water is fine as far as clarity goes. It does taste mineralized or salty at time, so maybe bring something to flavor your water. The only time the water will be muddy is during or after heavy rain.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks for all the info Scott!