Canyonlands in Winter

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Canyonlands in Winter

Post by Scott P »

It should be plowed, if needed. Usually that road doesn't need plowing though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Jesse M wrote:
I went during winter break my freshman year of college. It snowed making the rock dangerous, it was almost always windy, and we never saw the sun. That being said, I would not go during winter again, definetly go during spring break. I would go to Texas or the Ozarks not Canyonlands. Have fun and enjoy the trip.

You were probably here during a period of inversion where it gets overcast for an extended period and the clouds hold the cold air down in the canyon floors. Normally it is not like that here during the winter and you can expect crisp clear winter days with daytime highs in December/January the 20s-30s (and sometimes low 40s) and night time temperatures in the teens. As others have pointed out, the only real difficulty with hiking that time of the year is that the slickrock/sandstone gets snow covered and icy and you have to be careful downclimbing/upclimbing steep areas (particularly pour offs).
I agree. You can't really judge a climate by a one time experience. Otherwise we would all quit climbing 14ers the first time it rains. :wink:

The Needles area usually doesn't receive much snow. On average it only gets 14.5 inches of snow for an entire year, much, much less than most areas in Colorado. The area is one of the sunniest in the country.

That said, when it does snow, the routes on the slick rock can be difficult.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, the lowest elevation trail in the Needles is from Elephant Hill to the Colorado River via Red Lake Canyon. At river level, snow is very rare. Less than four inches of snow for an entire year falls there on average. I have only seen snow at river level in the Needles a few times.

If there does happen to be too much snow (which is a very rare occasion), there are plenty of hikes in the region that are at a lower altitude. Lake Powell is only at ~3600 feet and there are many canyons draining into the lake that are good in winter.

Much of SW Utah is below 3000 feet and it seldom snows there. Parts of Arizona or the Las Vegas area are also good.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

tomcat32 wrote:
If the OP does decide to come during that time of the year, I would suggest sticking to the more established areas in the park such as Chesler Park/Elephant Canyon, etc. as the Park Service doesn't patrol Needles with much regularity during the winter months so if you do get in trouble you will be on your own. Also, most of the side roads, except for the main ones, are not plowed/maintained during the winter.
Is the main road into the visitor center in the Needles, 211 I think it is, plowed to the visitor center, or to any of the trailheads beyond.
Yes that road is plowed year round when it needs it (which is rare). My comment was about the side roads to places like Salt Creek, Elephant Hill, etc. I don't think most of those are plowed and some (Salt Creek in particular) have gates that the Park Service closes seasonally to keep vehicle traffic out.

Just an FYI,

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Does Kane Creek Road take you into the Needles District?
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Shaolin wrote:Does Kane Creek Road take you into the Needles District?
What? No. look at a map. Needles is way south of Moab.
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

I grew up in GJ, I am mildly familiar with the climate. If it does snow you are going to be in for an adventure, if not it will be COLD. The OP wanted first hand advice, that place is balls cold in March. Good luck, have a great adventure.
Last edited by Jesse M on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

Shaolin wrote:Does Kane Creek Road take you into the Needles District?
No, Kane returns to 191 around Hole in the Rock. You might be thinking of Lockhart, which you have to go past Kane and over Hurrah Pass on the way out to Chicken Corners to get to. But that doesn't really enter Needles except for a short stretch of meandering back and forth across the boundary; mostly skirts down the edge until it hits 211 a little east of the park entrance.