Grand Teton National Park

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Indigomountain
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Grand Teton National Park

Post by Indigomountain »

I will be in GTNP/Yellowstone in a couple of weeks and am trying to decide if I should explore on my own or take a tour. I ultimately would like to hike but I can't find a tour company that will take me. I hike alone in the San Juans often but I understand hiking alone out there is not a good idea. I am ok with this, especially after reading about the man who was attacked by a bear not once but twice in Montana. I don't need any bear encounters.

So, it seems I will be doing some sight seeing instead. For those of you that have experience in this area do you think it would be worthwhile to take a wildlife viewing tour in and around Jackson Hole or should I get a map and do it on my own? Same with Yellowstone. I plan on driving up to Yellowstone (assuming south entrance is open) for a day and doing some sight seeing. I am looking for some insight. I have limited time there (2 full days) and want to use it wisely. My desires for the trip are as follows; would love to hike but not sure that is feasible, wildlife viewing/photo taking. Would love to hear some ideas. Thanks.

I should mention that there were a couple of hiking tours but I was priced out! Can't really spend $440 for an all day hike. Would like to but can't.
Last edited by Indigomountain on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Peace, Love and Fresh Mountain Air"
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Grand Teton National Park

Post by SkaredShtles »

Take your skis.

:mrgreen:

OklahomaMountainMan
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OklahomaMountainMan »

I was up there last month and spent a week in Yellowstone so I can't really give good advice for Grand Teton.

Elephant Back Mountain was a great little hike in Yellowstone. Its about 3 miles round trip and takes you up to a clearing overlooking the lake. I'd overall elevation gain was less than 500 ft. Its on the northwest side of Yellowstone Lake right off the road 1.5 miles south of the Fishing Bridge junction. There were reports of bear activity a week before I hiked (Sept. 6th) but I didn't see any. I did have bear spray and you can rent spray at the main campgrounds and visitor centers.

For wildlife viewing, the Hayden Valley between Yellowstone Lake and the Canyon Village always had a bison herd within easy viewing distance.

Just an FYI, the south entrance road is closed right now due to snow. Check the road conditions at go.nps.gov/yellroads before heading up there.
Indigomountain
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Indigomountain »

Thanks for the information, I checked this morning and the road was open BUT I know that can change anytime. It has been open/closed so many times the past month. I will just have to wait until I am there.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Go yourself

Get a good map and study it beforehand, get the roadside view/geology map also which is helpful. Have a chat with a ranger or two and lastly as you said, don't hike alone in Grizzly country, particularly off trail. Bears are probably still in hyperphagia so still might be active lower down before hibernating. Teton is a beautiful place.

In Yellowstone, depends on what you want to see more, but for wildlife, spend some time near Hayden and Lamar Valleys.

Have fun!
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

My wife and I enjoyed a day hike to Imperial Geyser. An easy half-day hike, but it was fun watching the geyser erupt every minute or so. We had the site to ourselves, so it was very serene watching the continuing eruption.
ImperialGeyser.jpg
ImperialGeyser.jpg (113.88 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
bf31415
14ers: 18 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bf31415 »

I was in yellowstone this past weekend with my 10 YO daughter. Yellowstone is mostly empty this time of year (ok, you'll still feel like your in a mall around old faithful eruption time). But we basically had norris basin to ourselves when we were there sunday afternoon. Of course, it was in the 30s and gusting so be sure to have winter gear to stay warm.

It was snowing when we left west yellowstone monday morning and 191 was snow covered through the entire section of the park as we drove to bozeman. There's construction (still) on the north section-- between norris basin and the north entrance but that might not be an issue since you're coming in from the south. I think this past weekend was the last weekend for stuff inside the park being open (food, inn, gas) etc.

It's a great time to visit yellowstone-- fewer people and more extreme weather (IMO) makes yellowstone even more magical.
bhess86
14ers: 24  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bhess86 »

I've done some of the popular Teton hiking, like Cascade Canyon or Bradley and Taggert Lakes, by myself, but the Montana bear attack stories certainly have me reconsidering that. Check out String Lake, you're never more than 100 yards from the parking lot so it's really safe. In the town of Jackson, hike up Snow King mountain for some cool views of the area.

I live in Jackson Hole, so private message me and I might be able to hike with you, if your trip hasn't already happened.
Benedicite montes et colles Domino, laudate et superexaltate eum in saecula.
Indigomountain
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Indigomountain »

Thanks for all of the input, it is appreciated. I returned from my trip last night. I got a bit of hiking/walking in but not as much as I would have liked. The snow and bear worries kept me close. On Tuesday I drove through GTNP and the very southern part of Yellowstone (they were getting ready to close the South entrance as it was dumping snow). I did see a ton of wildlife and I certainly enjoyed the area. Just beautiful.