Kessler's latest adventure (February 2007)

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Scott P

Kessler's latest adventure (February 2007)

Postby Scott P » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:05 pm

For anyone interested, here is Kessler’s latest four day adventure (for those that don’t know Kessler is my four year old son and has met many 14ers.com members and I periodically report on his travels). The trip was February 16-19

Our latest adventure was a trip to the very remote Hatch and Fiddler Cove Canyons in South East Utah. Our route was class 3+. Two of my brothers, one of my brother’s wife, and Kessler’s six year old cousin came along for the trip.

The two kids had an absolute blast. Since the route was class 3+, I brought a harness and climbing rope along but the route wasn’t steep enough for them to need it. In 14ers terms, the route was about as difficult as Wetterhorn or El Diente.

Both kids enjoyed the three day trip and the only complaints heard were from Kessler who “came along for the vertical rock climbing”. He was disappointed a bit that we just did more scrambling than technical rock climbing and let us all know on the way out.

Anyway, some of the better photos are below. Click on the album and there are 39 photos.

http://www.summitpost.org/album/272181/ ... -2007.html

I hope you enjoy them. This is a reminder to the parents out there to get out there and climb with the kids, but be safe and start easy. Enjoy.

See link above for more photos. Also see the link below for Fiddler Cove Canyon that is next to Hatch:

http://www.summitpost.org/album/272179/ ... -2007.html
Last edited by Scott P on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shanahan96

Postby shanahan96 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:13 pm

that's awesome scott! i'm glad kessler's getting the opportunity to get out and have some safe fun.

thanks for the pictures; utah's starting to look real appealing nowadays. all the snow and postholing is starting to get really taxing mentally. such is the life....

jamie
CO Native

Postby CO Native » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:16 pm

I'm jealous of all the trips you take. That looks awesome. How do you manage to do it? Did McDonalds spill hot coffee on your lap?
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Scott P

Postby Scott P » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:17 pm

starting to look real appealing nowadays. all the snow and postholing is starting to get really taxing mentally. such is the life

Yes. Good thing about Utah is the variety. The mountains actually get alot more snow than the ones in CO, but the deserts are a lot warmer and drier than anything over here. :wink:

The have the same alpine mountains as CO, but a huge chunk of the canyon country as well. That, plus all the public land makes it the best hiking and climbing state in the nation, but the real glaciers are missing.

How do you manage to do it?

It's not that far away. Even though it's out of state, I'm actually as close to SE Utah as say the Sangre de Christo's. :D
Last edited by Scott P on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jamienellis

Postby jamienellis » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:19 pm

Very cool, Scott!

Maybe Kessler will let us come along sometime so he can show us up on the vertical rock! :)

Thanks for sharing.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
FlyGirl

Postby FlyGirl » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:37 pm

What a lucky little dude! Great photos! Good job Scott.
Move like a heron, not like a water buffalo

X.F.

Postby X.F. » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:20 pm

can i be your son too ?
Skip Perkins

Postby Skip Perkins » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:06 pm

Scott,
I'm becoming totally convinced that you are molding a Sherpa. That lad can carry a pack. If I carried a proportional pack, it would be a 4-person timberline tent filled with stuff. Great pictures.
Chicago Transplant

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:04 am

Looks like you all had a great time in Utah! Its always great to see the amazing places you and Kessler get to explore.

I really like the colors of the rock in those canyons, I need to get to Utah and check it out!
JoeyJ

Postby JoeyJ » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:39 am

Wow!

that is one cool looking place! Kinda looks like the canyons and same type area that was filmed when 'man vs. wild' did the shoot at Moab- supposedly.

Definitely looks like a unique and fun place to explore! Is this place close to Moab? I've never hiked or spent time in Utah-
Scott P

Postby Scott P » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:09 pm

Kinda looks like the canyons and same type area that was filmed when 'man vs. wild' did the shoot at Moab- supposedly.

If anyone is curious, I know where that slot canyon in the show is. It's Fry Canyon right where it passes under Highway 95. He was next to the highway. Despite what the show implied, the slot canyon over 100 miles from Moab. A few other parts were shot much closer.

Definitely looks like a unique and fun place to explore! Is this place close to Moab?

It's about two hours from Moab on the highway, an extra two hours on rough roads after that. Both are side canyons of the Dirty Devil River and this is just south of the Maze in Canyonlands. Pretty isolated country. Nearest town is Hanskville.

I really like the colors of the rock in those canyons, I need to get to Utah and check it out!

I'm out that way often and am always happy to show people around. We should plan a trip.
toollessmonkey

Postby toollessmonkey » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:37 pm

You are a top notch dad. That little one is a lucky boy. Cool pics, the sandstone patterns are mezmorizing (sp?).

Return to “USA - Other Peaks”