Harney Peak Renamed Black Elk Peak

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Harney Peak Renamed Black Elk Peak

Post by jsdratm »

http://www.kotatv.com/content/news/Harn ... 05932.html
Black Elk, who died in 1950, was an Oglala Lakota spiritual leader. He narrated the events of his life (including being at the Battle of Little Bighorn) that turned into the book "Black Elk Speaks."

It was originally named for Army Gen. William S. Harney, who fought against Native Americans as America pushed west.
Txhiker42
14ers: 27 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Harney Peak Renamed Black Elk Peak

Post by Txhiker42 »

Thanks for this! I hiked Harney last week, and as I was uploading my gpx to Suunto this morning, I wondered why it said "Black Elk". Mystery solved, and I'm amazed at how quickly the name was updated in my data.
It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun. -Jeff Lowe
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Dang, now I have to re-hike the South Dakota high point. I can see the state's side of opposing for the confusion it will lead to because, unlike Denali/McKinley, I've read no history of it being referred for someone who died in 1950. Think the following best illustrates the politically correct mindset of the board.

"Last year, the geographic board was tinkering with the idea of renaming it Hinhan Kaga. Translated that means Making of Owls. Opposition caused the board to balk."
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

TallGrass wrote:Dang, now I have to re-hike the South Dakota high point. I can see the state's side of opposing for the confusion it will lead to because, unlike Denali/McKinley, I've read no history of it being referred for someone who died in 1950. Think the following best illustrates the politically correct mindset of the board.

"Last year, the geographic board was tinkering with the idea of renaming it Hinhan Kaga. Translated that means Making of Owls. Opposition caused the board to balk."

If you ever want to do that in the summer let me know TallGrass. I climbed Harney several years ago and for some reason I really enjoyed it. Not sure why; its a pretty easy mountain close to civilization with no real challenges unless you go out of your way to look for them.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

This year I went up to South Dakota to climb Harney and ended up doing it on Memorial Day. Somehow there were still less people on the trail that day than I saw on the Herman Gulch Trail today! The Black Hills are beautiful and great for escaping from the Colorado crowds.