Looking for CA 14'er hiking partners out of SoCal Area

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Looking for CA 14'er hiking partners out of SoCal Area

Post by Teresa Gergen »

You might want to ask here:
http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a knowledgeable but somewhat conservative forum.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

jaleutious wrote:So how about for standard/most popular routes? When do we expect most portions of the trails to be clear of snow/manageable to follow this year? Aside from Whitney, I understand most Ca 14'er trails are not as well-maintained so I definitely am not looking to go up any of the alternate/more difficult routes since the walk-ups on most of these are so long anyway.
Langley has a great trail. Whitney has a great trail. Russell has a great trail to upper boyscout lake. Williamson and Tyndall have a great trail to the Williamson bowl, North palisade traverse also has a great trail to Sam mack meadow. All are well maintained.

If anyone here knew when the trails would be clear enough for you, we'd have to have a time machine. The only answer you'll get is sometime between late may and early july. If you don't like snow, wait till august.
jaleutious
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jaleutious »

I must beg to differ on Williamson and Tyndall: their trails are in awful shape...washouts, unnecessary ups and downs, unclear in Williamson Bowl. I got turned around just after Anvil Camp last time due to heavy smoke from fire but will hopefully be trying again this summer and will just have to deal with it. I would expect Muir, Langley, and Russel might have better-maintained trails though that may be wishful thinking.

As for a forecast, I wasn't asking for anything exact...simply during moderate-high snow years, about what time of year would most of the trail be fairly dry. Im guessing late June/early July would be the earliest I would try any of these aside from White.
"I'm just trying to find, a mountain I can climb" -Julian Casablancas