hiking options in WA in November

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
odoyle81
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (0)

hiking options in WA in November

Post by odoyle81 »

Hi all,

Will be in Spokane for a workshop next week, and have a rental car (4wd) for an extra day. Interested in driving to (google says 3.5 hrs) and hiking around the Stuart range for half a day, camping somewhere (at trailhead in car?) and heading back the next morning (flight out of Spokane is at 1pm). Suggestions? I know it will be cold and maybe snowy, but I'd like to get out.. I have plenty of gear if necessary to stuff in my suitcase. Was thinking maybe from TH to Colchuck lake and back? Would the only pass I need is this?
http://www.discovernw.org/store_nationa ... 20281.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe there is something better within range of Spokane this time of year?
Also is there a great website like 14ers.com but for the pac NW?

Thanks in advance!
LadyClimber
14ers: 6 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: hiking options in WA in November

Post by LadyClimber »

NW forest pass is all you need. Can't go wrong with the Enchantments! Nothing quite like 14ers.com but there is the wta.org for trip reports and conditions.
odoyle81
Trip Reports (0)

Post by odoyle81 »

Ah, wta.org is a really nice resource, thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like from that site (http://www.wta.org/hiking-info/passes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) I can use my America the Beautiful pass for the trailhead? Do I just stick in my front dash or something?
LadyClimber
14ers: 6 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LadyClimber »

Yes that should work to...yes just put it on your dash
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

There's NW Hikers which is another good place to get general hiking information.

Colchuck Lake is a great hike, you won't be disappointed :)
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Will be in Spokane for a workshop next week, and have a rental car (4wd) for an extra day.
If so, it might be worth looking into doing something closer to Spokane, especially if you only have half a day. There are plenty of hikes around there. It is true that the mountains around Spokane aren't as spectacular as the rugged parts of the Cascades, but the weather tends to be better in November in far eastern Washington than it does in the Cascades. Although you might get lucky, the chances are that you won't be able to see anything in November, which is usually one of the wettest months in the Cascades.

Even though I am from coastal Washington, and love the Cascades, I don't know if I'd recommend driving all the way there in November if you only have a half day at your disposal. In summer, my opinion would be different.
Last edited by Scott P on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
odoyle81
Trip Reports (0)

Post by odoyle81 »

I'm open to ideas.. what would you recommend in the area? especially cuz the weather looks awful weds / thurs around enchantment. I actually changed my reservation so now I have tues evening til thurs around 1pm!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Maybe try something such as Mount Kit Carson or something. The weather forecast doesn't look good there either, but at least you would only have to drive less than an hour to possibly see nothing (but clouds and snow) vs driving 3.5 hours to see nothing. :wink:

Also, even though the weather forecast isn't good, only 1-3 inches of snow is forecasted for the mountains northeast of Spokane during that time period. Between Tuesday night and Wednesday, 2-3 feet of snow is forecasted to fall in the Cascades. If you do go to the Cascades, you won't be able to see them.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.