Uintah Question

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Uintah Question

Post by steelfrog »

So we are Turning our Death Canyon-Alaska Basin-Static Divide trip into a 2 day instead of 3 day so we can head to the Uintahs and get a day hike in there Sundsy before heading home.

Two questions:

1. What's the gateway city for the Uintahs, Heber?

2. What would be a good day hike, say 10-12 miles rt max?

Many thanks!
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Uintah Question

Post by Conor »

The unitahs can be accessed via Wyoming and to the south. I have spent very little time in the area, but my wife took an annual trip to east fork black fork growing up which is a little ways back there, but you'll have small crowds. Many day hikes exist in the area. Bald lake comes to mind.
Gahugafuga
14ers: 53 
13ers: 98
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Gahugafuga »

Several points of access from the Evanston area, which is connected to Kamas, UT (near Park City) by the Mirror Lake Hwy. There are also numerous roads from Wyoming and the Uintah Basin sides that provide access to the high Uintas. A lot of those hikes are pretty long.

The only chance I got to climb in the Uintas, I did a loop hike of Reids Peak and Bald Mtn from Bald Mtn Pass. I hiked out the Notch Mtn trail to Clegg Lake then went cross country to the saddle between the peaks. After traversing them, I followed the easy lemming path back to the trailhead. Didn't see a soul from the lake to the summit of Bald. Across the street is Murdoch Mtn, a giant plateau with great views of the whole area.

Mirror Lake Hwy is busy in summer, but the west Uintas are pretty unique mountains and at least you can exit out to Park City where good food is available.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

1. What's the gateway city for the Uintahs, Heber?

It depends on which part of the Uintas you want. I don't think I'd call Heber the gateway city. I'd say Kamas for the western Uintas. The Uintas are partially in Colorado and go all the way to Kamas.
2. What would be a good day hike, say 10-12 miles rt max?
You will mostly be limited to hikes along Higway 150, more commonly known as the Mirror Lake Highway. The core of the Uintas is more isolated than anything in Colorado, so you can't see much if you only want to do 10-12 miles round trip. Most of the approaches to the high peaks are at least that distance each way.

If you only have one day, I'd suggest climbing Hayden Peak if you don't mind some class 3. The Bald Mountain-Reids Peak traverse is good too. Mount Watson or Agassiz are pretty good if you only want class 2, but Hayden and Reids are my favorite day climb peaks.

If you want lakes, try the Lofty Lake Loop (for a side trip, you could run up Mount Marsell for the views) from Pass Lake or the Wall Lake/Clyde Lake Loop from Crystal Lake.

Anyway, I know the area really well and I did write a guidebook to the area about 19 years ago:

It's out of print now days, and somewhat dated, but let me know if you want a copy. I still have some sitting in the basement and was going to just donate them to the boyscouts or something.

East Fork Bear River is a pretty day hike, but taking multiple days is better.

There are other day hikes scattered throughout the mountain range, such as the Bald Lake hike mentioned above, or some of the peaks and lakes in the High Bollies/Eastern Uintas, but those areas are quite out there and out of the way (lost distances on gravel/dirt roads) for just a day hike. I'd suggest the Mirror Lake Highway area if you only have a day. Some of the campgrounds and trailheads do tend to be pretty popular though. I'd suggest having a lot more than a day at hand to visit those areas away from the said highway.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
lukePlumley
14ers: 52 
13ers: 232
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lukePlumley »

For a day hike, skip the Uintas and climb Timpanogos instead. Fantastic hike!!!
"Ain't nothing to it, Listsofjohn made me do it!" -- Ice Cube