Beartooths in late July

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Beartooths in late July

Post by steelfrog »

Question: Wanted to do a 2-day hike in the Beartooths in late July. My plan is to hike up not Froze to Death plateau and maybe Tempest, but I could be talked out of this. Any suggestions for a 2-sayer in the Beartooths about 20 miles, could include a scramble, with great views?

Many thanks.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Beartooths in late July

Post by steelfrog »

So, could anybody help me out with something in the Beartooths?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

There are lots of choices, but keep in mind that 2 days isn't long for the Beartooths.

Some possibilities would be Silver Run Peak, Whitetail, Mt Woods, Castle Mountain, Sky Pilot, Bowback, or even Grass Mountain. Any one of these will be a two day trip and all have great views. Summitpost has info on all of these peaks.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Great. Thanks so much Scott!
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

OK; I think I have this narrowed down; here are the options:

1. Mt. Villard and Glacier via Aero Lakes

2a: Silver Run Peak/Whitetail via West Fork Rock Creek
2b: Bowback/Sundance via West Fork Rock Creek

I am kinda leaning toward 2b or 1; any thoughts?

Many thanks!
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I haven't done option A (though photos of Mt Villard and Glacier look really cool), so I can't comment on that, but I have been to and really like the mountains around option B.

If you are interested, here is our trip report:

http://www.summitpost.org/beautiful-bea ... ort/547714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I assume you aleady know, but the Beartooths will have a lot of mosquitoes in July. It's still a good time to go, but be ready.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Thanks Scott; that looks awesome.

We are flying into SLC so the Villard/Glacier has the added advantage of about 1.5 hrs less driving each way; the Beartooths are the first of 4 2-day hikes, including Titcomb Basin, Cirque of the Towers and Death Canyon Shelf loop in Tetons.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

the Beartooths are the first of 4 2-day hikes, including Titcomb Basin, Cirque of the Towers and Death Canyon Shelf loop in Tetons.
Personally, I'd recommend two four days hikes instead of four two day hikes. The problem is that while those are all really great hikes, with the exception of Death Canyon it takes a while to get to the good stuff. For example, while the Cirque of the Towers is very spectacular, the scenery is pretty average until you get at least to Big Sandy Lake. That means on a two day trip, you will only get a gimps of the good stuff and most of the time you will be hiking in the forest. The same is somewhat true for Titcomb Basin and also for much of the Beartooths.

If you do want to do a two day hike in in the Winds, Green River Lakes might be the best bet since the scenery starts out good. You could climb Squaretop in a long two day trip.

I'd still recommend two four day hikes though. You time will be better spend seeing the really good stuff and it would cut down on windshield time as well.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Scott P wrote:
the Beartooths are the first of 4 2-day hikes, including Titcomb Basin, Cirque of the Towers and Death Canyon Shelf loop in Tetons.
Personally, I'd recommend two four days hikes instead of four two day hikes. The problem is that while those are all really great hikes, with the exception of Death Canyon it takes a while to get to the good stuff. For example, while the Cirque of the Towers is very spectacular, the scenery is pretty average until you get at least to Big Sandy Lake. That means on a two day trip, you will only get a gimps of the good stuff and most of the time you will be hiking in the forest. The same is somewhat true for Titcomb Basin and also for much of the Beartooths.

If you do want to do a two day hike in in the Winds, Green River Lakes might be the best bet since the scenery starts out good. You could climb Squaretop in a long two day trip.

I'd still recommend two four day hikes though. You time will be better spend seeing the really good stuff and it would cut down on windshield time as well.
Having been there, I would DEFINITELY second this for Titcomb Basin. It's a pretty long day just to get in there, and it would be a shame to not have at least a day to explore this stunningly beautiful place. Just my $0.02.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

You may have a point; so, I have studied Green River Lakes area now. If we were instead to do a 4-dayer in the Wind Rivers, would you suggest (a) Titcomb, (b) Cirque or C Green River Lakes area?

I'm inclined toward Titcomb because I have a loop we could do there…Lillipop
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

I'm having in idea. So, apparently, one can do Granite via the technically easiest route, SW Slab/Couloir, from Sky Top Lakes. And, getting to Sky Top Lakes is easier (less boulder hopping) than Aero Lakes. So, I am now thinking; 3 days Beartooths, Granite; maybe lollipop it up Skytop, up Granite; over into Aero drainage and down. Camp one night Sky Top, one night Aero. If we feel like it we could try Villard as well.

Then, 3 days Titcomb

Then 2 days Death Canyon Shelf loop

I love it when a plan comes together!
Apex
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Apex »

That's a pretty dynamite schedule.

3 days for Granite
3 days for Titcomb, you should try for Fremont Peak or if you want to tag another highpoint head over Bonney pass and tag Gannett Peak
I'm not familiar with Death Canyon Shelf...but it sounds fun? :lol:

I'm sure you're planning on it, but Granite's SW Couloir will most likely be filled with snow and ice, so bring an ice ax and at least microspikes. You'll need the same at minimum for Gannet, Fremont's route should be snow free.

Have fun and share photos!