Early Aug: Rainer v. N Cascades

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Early Aug: Rainer v. N Cascades

Post by tlongpine »

I may be headed to Seattle in August with 3-4 days of leisure time. Anyone have strong opinions of the competing merits of Ranier v. NCNP?
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Early Aug: Rainer v. N Cascades

Post by metalmountain »

If you have a solid weather window then Rainier would be doable. That time of year probably has about the most stable weather in my experience and based off of what some friends who lived out there have told me. The flip side is that the glaciers tend to start being a bit more broken up. Not necessarily a huge issue if you are prepared though. Also, if you are headed up solo you will have to deal with trying to get a solo permit to climb Rainier. You will have to get a permit solo or not obviously, but solo permits are a bit tougher to obtain I believe. And if its a weekend you may or may not be able to get a camping permit, period. If its during the week it most likely won't be a huge issue though.

If the weather at all looks questionable I would choose to head to the North Cascades since you only have a few days to work with and won't be able to wait out bad weather on Rainier for too long. There are tons of great routes to choose from in the North Cascades, and they will probably have way less people on them as well. Some of the more popular routes (Shuksan/Baker) can be tough to obtain a camping permit, especially on weekends. So keep that in mind and make sure you have a few back up plans. You will be required to get a backcountry camping permit (free) wherever you might end up, so keep that in mind as well and remember to pick one up on your way into the area.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Either of those places is beautiful. You can't lose.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
JonW
14ers: 14 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JonW »

You can't go wrong with either place. A little more driving to reach NCNP, but the North Cascades are arguably the most beautiful range in the lower 48. I think it depends are your goals and experience level.
metalmountain wrote:Some of the more popular routes (Shuksan/Baker) can be tough to obtain a camping permit, especially on weekends.
Just an FYI, you don't need a camping permit for Baker. Just be sure to get a forest pass to park at the TH.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

JonW wrote:You can't go wrong with either place. A little more driving to reach NCNP, but the North Cascades are arguably the most beautiful range in the lower 48. I think it depends are your goals and experience level.
metalmountain wrote:Some of the more popular routes (Shuksan/Baker) can be tough to obtain a camping permit, especially on weekends.
Just an FYI, you don't need a camping permit for Baker. Just be sure to get a forest pass to park at the TH.

Ahh yeah you're right, sorry about the bad info.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

JonW wrote:the North Cascades are arguably the most beautiful range in the lower 48.
This is a true statement. Though I understand the appeal of wanting to climb Rainier (as someone who doesn't have it in their backyard all the time). Might be a weird climbing season, considering how much snow we didn't get this year. If you do DC or Emmons you should be fine though, it's just a super basic glacier climb and on DC the route is always wanded by the guided groups from RMI.

If class 3/4 scrambling is more your preference, definitely definitely definitely go to the North Cascades or the Alpine Lakes Wilderness (not a national park but an amazing and beautiful area). PM me if you want more info.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

N. Cascades is awesome.. Haven't been to Rainer yet but I say you can't go wrong either way.

If you're looking for a place to stay/clean up, check out the North Cascades Mountain Hostel in Winthrop, WA. Its not far from NCNP, cool town, good beer, fun people.

http://www.northcascadesmountainhostel.com/
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

JonW wrote:You can't go wrong with either place. A little more driving to reach NCNP, but the North Cascades are arguably the most beautiful range in the lower 48. I think it depends are your goals and experience level.
I did both areas last summer with a 3 week trip. This is a really hard question - do you like this glorious area or this one.

You didn't say what you would be doing (backpacking, climbing, day hikes) but with only 3 - 4 days I would probably choose Rainier. The climb notwithstanding backpacking on the Wonderland Trail would be phenomenal during that time period and there are so many day hiking opportunities if that's your goal.

As mentioned and seconded by me the drive to NCNP can eat up a lot of time. There are only a couple of portals into the NP so where you enter is limited. However it's one of the most supreme areas in the continental US. Sahale is gorgeous but will be crowded. Once you hit Cascade Pass you can head down to Stehekin for a wilderness experience. Or, you can head up to Sahale Glacier and Peak and one of the most beautiful back country camp sites I've ever seen. This can be done as a backpack, day hike or climb. Of course this is only one option in NCNP.

The Mt. Baker Wilderness Chain Lakes loop would be good for a 3 day backpack or even just a day hike. Phenomenal views of Baker and Shuksan.....

A previous post mentioned the Alpine Lake Wilderness. I've driven around it and it will be on the list for the next time I'm up there (hopefully this August for me as well).

And then... there's Olympic NP and all the great climbing, backpacking and day hiking there. The Hoh River trail to Glacier Meadows at the foot of Mt. Olympus - enough said.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

So, turns out the schedule affords both.

I'm eyeing Rainer Aug 1st / 2nd / 3rd. Anyone else climbing then? Interested in joining a rope team, or adding +1 to your team?

Aug 6th I head to Hozomeen.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
lazy climber
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazy climber »

If you are by yourself and want to climb your only option is Rainier and hope you can join someone's rope, other wise the climbs in the NCNP tend to be remote( long hike in), all or most are glaciated and not that many people in the area. Not a good place to get into trouble by yourself.

If the weather is bad on Rainier it will be bad in the Cascades, although that time of year is usually OK, our snow pack is low to nonexistent which should make climbing routes interesting. We have already been able to get into trailheads that are usually not open till July.

Just to give an idea about the snow pack, we did Baker the last weekend of May, hiked to 6500 feet on dry trail, normally you hit snow 2-4 miles BEFORE you even reach the trailhead that time of year
there were about the normal number of crevasses open but I would guess by mid july the route will be longer as there will be more cracks open and a lot of snow bridges will have fallen in. It wil be like that thru the whole range.

As has been stated some areas will be difficult to get overnight permits and others no problems, depends on if they are in the Park or not. Lots of good day hikes where permits will not be a problem.

From Seattle the drive to Rainier or NCNP is about the same or a bit more drive to the Olympics, lots of good hiking.

I like the North Cascades, fewer people, good climbs and if you are only hiking some great views in a day hike. If you end up in the North Cascades you can check at the following Ranger Stations for conditions and what permits may be needed.
Sedro Wooley, Marblemount, Glacier and Darrington, this kind of covers all sides of the NCNP area.