Denali Recommendations?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountainfreak241
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Denali Recommendations?

Post by mountainfreak241 »

I am looking at forming/joining a private trip for 2015. Was on the peak in 2003 and 2011 and love it up there. I will be doing a climb of Logan in late April/early May before heading to Denali. Send me a message if interested in either/both. I will be on skis most of the time, and I echo all of the sentiments above - it just makes the trip so much more enjoyable. I am happy to be a mentor-type to a relative newbie if needed and I am not the macho-type. :) Thanks!
"I go to the Wind Rivers, more than the other ranges I know, to experience mountains in their totality." - Joe Kelsey
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Denali Recommendations?

Post by martinleroux »

shearmodulus wrote:You can get a van shuttle that will drive you Talkeetna, and they'll usually have a stop programmed in for Palmer-Wasilla, and you can pick up groceries there. It takes about 3-4 hours to get to Talkeetna by ground. If you time your arrival right, you can spend less than two hours in Anchorage, and just get picked up right from the airport by the shuttle.
With a bit of planning you can leave Denver at 6pm and be on the Kahiltna Glacier by early afternoon the next day. If you're keen you could get to the base of Ski Hill by evening.

If you're taking freeze-dried food then order it from REI for in-store pick-up in Anchorage. They'll have it boxed up and waiting for you. Same if you're using isobutane canisters.