Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LynnKH
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim

Post by LynnKH »

anthony156 wrote: Day 1 Down South Rim- Kaibab, steeper, no water so its better to go down and fast while we have water. Make a pitstop and check out Ribbon Falls, head up to North Rim, camp for the night.

Days 2 Head back, head up Bright Angel.
I'll throw my opinion into the mix. I think doing a long trip like this (Or any like it, for instance, 4 Pass Loop) in two days is the hardest way to go. The advantage of doing it in a single push is that you can go light. The advantage of making it a backpacking trip is that you don't do any long days. By splitting the difference and camping only one night, you would have a far, far heavier pack but will still be required to go a very long way each day. Last year friends and I did the full R^3 route in a leisurely pace in under 20 hours. Yeah, we were exhausted at the end, but personally, I would far prefer that than two long days with a full pack. Just my $.02.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Wow Hoot, thanks for writing that.
LynnKH wrote:
anthony156 wrote: Day 1 Down South Rim- Kaibab, steeper, no water so its better to go down and fast while we have water. Make a pitstop and check out Ribbon Falls, head up to North Rim, camp for the night.

Days 2 Head back, head up Bright Angel.
I'll throw my opinion into the mix. I think doing a long trip like this (Or any like it, for instance, 4 Pass Loop) in two days is the hardest way to go. The advantage of doing it in a single push is that you can go light. The advantage of making it a backpacking trip is that you don't do any long days. By splitting the difference and camping only one night, you would have a far, far heavier pack but will still be required to go a very long way each day. Last year friends and I did the full R^3 route in a leisurely pace in under 20 hours. Yeah, we were exhausted at the end, but personally, I would far prefer that than two long days with a full pack. Just my $.02.
Depends on how light you can backpack really.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

anthony156 wrote:All these suggestions sound great. I tried calling the permit office and they have very few dates available, I would've thought in October/November that everyone would be at home. If we can't get a permit this is what I'm thinking.
The place is so extradordinarily beautiful that nearly any trail or campground will a great experience. Lots of times I didnt get my first choices, but was generally satisfied.

The south rim to river and back feels comparable to Elbert daytrip in effort. The Grand Canyon is a little longer, but you dont have as thin air. No permits needed for a day hike. You can do another pair of trails like Tanner or Hermit on another day if want a repeat.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Dex wrote:At PR you must drink the beer inside the building - you can't take it outside.
Oh, the humanity!
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
soad
Trip Reports (0)

Post by soad »

Hey guys! I'm planning a family trip to the canyon for the middle of June next year (have to go during the little ones summer vacation). I would like to do a long run, but I realize I'm there at a horrible time of year.

I have a proto-plan but am open to suggestions.

The plan is to start on the Bright Angel at 3am and get to phantom ranch by 530-600. The climb back out with with the hope of being done by 10:00-11:00. The distance and elevation gain is well within my ability in 7-8 hours (multiple ultramarathons) but I'm not sure about the heat.

Is climbing up Bright Angel from 6am to 10am in mid June a horrible idea, or doable if prepared?

Thanks!!!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Is climbing up Bright Angel from 6am to 10am in mid June a horrible idea, or doable if prepared?
Doable, but still a horrible idea, especially for the Rim to Rim to Rim. It is very unlikely that you would enjoy it that time of year.

There are places at the Grand Canyon that are OK in summer though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Scott P wrote:
Doable, but still a horrible idea, especially for the Rim to Rim to Rim. It is very unlikely that you would enjoy it that time of year.

He was proposing a Rim to River to Rim if I understood him correctly. That's easily doable; I'd say 2 hours down and 4 up very conservatively and taking a lot of pics. It won't be that hot if you finish by 9-10.
soad
Trip Reports (0)

Post by soad »

jomagam wrote:
Scott P wrote:

He was proposing a Rim to River to Rim if I understood him correctly. That's easily doable; I'd say 2 hours down and 4 up very conservatively and taking a lot of pics. It won't be that hot if you finish by 9-10.

Correct. Just a 20 mile run on the Bright Angel to the river then back up to the south rim. Thanks for your help!
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

I've personally done the Rim-rim-rim 11 years in a row, all but one year in mid-April (once, last year in late March). Basically, these days with my older bones, I walk the entire way and manage about 17-18 hours. Under 20 is easily doable with more stops. This time of year (April) is great, plenty of daylight, nice temperatures, not too hot at the bottom, nor too cold at the top. I prefer mid-April over late March, as there are more crowds in late March (spring break crowds), and potentially more snow to deal with on the North rim.

We will be doing RRR-XII this early April, if you have any interest in joining the group. We've had as many as ~25 folks before on this little outing, it has dwindled slightly in recent years to mid-teens. We drive down on a Friday, crash either at the Mather CG or the Yavapai lodge (I like the lodge), get up in the wee hours and hit the trail. Recent years I've been going down the Kaibab trail to the river, up and back down the North Bright Angel (only option), then back up the Bright angel. Makes for about 43.5 miles. If you go back up the Kaibab, it is right at 42 miles. The BA trail has a water stop at Indian gardens that makes it nice on the way back up the south rim.

Let me know if at all interested! We start doing long walks for training around town after work on weeknights, tons of fun... our staging ground is the Platte River Bar and Grill, where we meet at 5:30 pm or so, walk anywhere from 16-20 miles around various city trails (mostly soft surface), return to the PRB&G and have beers and burgers. Fun stuff! This little "walk in the park" is all about foot toughness and body resource management. We've "trained " lots of RRR rookies over the years, thought they couldn't manage it, went anyway and had a blast.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

soad wrote: Correct. Just a 20 mile run on the Bright Angel to the river then back up to the south rim. Thanks for your help!
Have you considered taking a different trail down, like South Kaibab ?
soad
Trip Reports (0)

Post by soad »

climbing_rob wrote: We start doing long walks for training around town after work on weeknights, tons of fun... our staging ground is the Platte River Bar and Grill, where we meet at 5:30 pm or so, walk anywhere from 16-20 miles around various city trails (mostly soft surface), return to the PRB&G and have beers and burgers. Fun stuff! This little "walk in the park" is all about foot toughness and body resource management. We've "trained " lots of RRR rookies over the years, thought they couldn't manage it, went anyway and had a blast.
That sounds like a blast! If I lived close I would be there!

jomagam wrote:
soad wrote: Correct. Just a 20 mile run on the Bright Angel to the river then back up to the south rim. Thanks for your help!
Have you considered taking a different trail down, like South Kaibab ?
We are staying at the lodge, so I liked the idea of rolling out of bed and starting the run without having to drive. Is S. Kaibab more runable than the Bright Angel? I read that its more scenic, but I'll be running down in the dark so that doesn't matter.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

The best part of a GC hike is the view going down. You'll be missing most of that at night. It would be like climbing a 14er in a fog- You know you did it but didnt see much.

The upper half of the canyon is in the shade in the early morning and late afternoon. Avoiding the sun helps a lot.

I'd go down the South Kabib and up the Bright Angel. Park at the South Kabib, if they still allow it and close the five miles on the rim with the shuttle. I dont think the shuttle starts until about 6AM.
The reason for ascending the Bright Angel is that there is always water at Indian Gardens about 40% the way up. You can refill water at Phantom Ranch and Indian Gardens.