Gannett Peak WY

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
misubri
Trip Reports (0)

Gannett Peak WY

Post by misubri »

I am looking for a partner who has previously summited Gannett Peak and knows the route. I have prevously done Elbert, Rainier, Hood, Whitney (mountaineer's route) and other state highpoints and would like to add Gannett to my list. But Gannett is a long way in to question where you are going and if you are on the right route. I have another person also interested, but they have not done this hike either. I am from AZ but even though we don't get much snow here I do have alpine climbing skills. Anyone interested???
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Gannett Peak WY

Post by ulvetano »

Ah he'll no! No battling those Mosquitos for me this year!!
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

No mosquitoes for us in mid August. But also no snow going up and over Bonney, just a lot of scree. I think I'd still take the latter.

Misubri, I wish you luck in finding another partner if that's what you want but for what it's worth I don't think the route finding is difficult. I'll admit we made a wrong turn on the approach but we weren't paying attention and easily corrected ourselves when we pulled out the map. A friend who was trying to climb Gannett roundtrip in single day left the Elkhart trailhead at 8pm the day before us and did the entire approach in the dark without a problem. Once on the glacier if you've looked at a bunch of trip reports beforehand things should make sense. I drew some routes on this pic you might find useful. We used the standard route for the descent.

14erAddict
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 181 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erAddict »

I'm doing Gannett the first week of July if you want to join. I'm not doing the Bonney Pass approach, but the standard route (Glacier Trail). It's a longer approach, but a shorter summit day! :)
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks" - John Muir
misubri
Trip Reports (0)

Post by misubri »

Yes I am very interested. For the Glacier Trail route, what is the closest town to start from? Is it still Pinedale? Here is my direct email address: brwilliams@cox.net.
thevagabond
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thevagabond »

I am interested in this as well.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

misubri wrote: For the Glacier Trail route, what is the closest town to start from? Is it still Pinedale?
Lander/Dubois.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Glacier Trail route is popular, but since it adds 10 miles and a bunch of creek crossings, I think the route we took in from Pinedale (Elkhart TH / Pole Creek trail to Titcomb) is considered by most to be the standard route. Could be wrong.

Our route over Bonney Pass did make for a long summit day.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Not interested in going again, but I will add that climbing Gannet peak last year was the highlight of Sharon's and my summer. Fantastic trip. We did the Pinedale/Titcomb basin route and it was drop-dead gorgeous. Longer summit day, alas, but I think worth it for the shear beauty of that approach. We were late July, lots of bugs, wore head-nets, crossed a really skinny snow bridge across the bergshrund (fully roped up), definitely the second overall most difficult of the 50 state high points we've done.

Have fun and enjoy!

PS: watch the speed limits on those "wide open" WY roads.... they are apparently hungry for revenue....
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Looking at Carl's map, I think we pretty much followed the yellow route both ways, on snow the whole way except a couple places (July 21st).
Coxie2210
14ers: 39  6 
13ers: 33 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Coxie2210 »

Not sure about the revenue but we hate to see foreigners die on our roads. Your green plates probably don't help you outside the metropolis of Cheyenne either! :-D
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

misubri wrote:I am looking for a partner who has previously summited Gannett Peak and knows the route. I have prevously done Elbert, Rainier, Hood, Whitney (mountaineer's route) and other state highpoints and would like to add Gannett to my list. But Gannett is a long way in to question where you are going and if you are on the right route. I have another person also interested, but they have not done this hike either. I am from AZ but even though we don't get much snow here I do have alpine climbing skills. Anyone interested???
I did gannett from the dubois side (trail lakes) without ever being to the area before, and i didn't find the route finding difficult. the glacier trail is awesome, and yes there are a few rivers that you might have to take your shoes off at and yes the mosquito will probably be bad unless you go in august, but its a great hike and makes for an easier summit day. the best map for the area is the beartooth publishing one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4KqTO2o6i0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(that start time was from the boulderfeild near 10,800')